S,F, Restaurants in Entertainment Book

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to SF for a week and need to keep this trip as budget-wise as possible (overspent like mad in Italy...what can I say--the dollar's in the toilet!, but that's another issue), so I purchased the new SF Entertainment book and am hoping to use it ALOT! Are there any Fodorites who have used this book in SF (especially natives of SF--I use the Seattle one all the time and have found some good places in it) that can make some recommendations?

Thanks so much--you've all been SO GREAT!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:18 AM

I did a search online to see if the publishers might have listed the participants in the book, but came up dry.

Happy to comment if I knew the restaurants involved.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM

to the top
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

SFImporter,
Thanks for the response. There are so many of them, but I'll list a few that looked good to me in the book:
L'Olivier, Ginza, littel nepal, Bombay Feast, Vino e Cucina, miyabi, Carne E Pesce, Tita's, Kiku of Toky, Cafe do Brasil, Thepin Thai, Lol-Tun, and Grand Palace...opps...I know that's more than a few, but would appreciate feedback on any of them (or others in Entertainment Book).

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM
SAB

I did a quick look on the book's website and most of the places listed seemed to be inexpensive neighborhood pizza, or ethnic--Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Indian-- places. Or fast food places. Unless one of them was in my neighborhood, I like most SF locals would know nothing about it, that is unless one of the places is known for great food, it will be unknown outside of its neighborhood. We tend to "discover" little neighborhood gems. This does not mean that many of the places won't have decent food--they are probably places where we grab take out on our way home from work.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Are they by area? Maybe this will help us help you?

Or tell us where you will be staying, we'll try to come up with a list of budget places without food poisoning.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Entertainment books seem like an odd choice for visitors, since if the restaurant is good and not "local," it doesn't need to lure people in with coupons.

OTOH, you may run into a great little find but also could end up with some so-so meals.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I am a native and one of me and my husband's favorite things to do is try great new restaurants, both expensive and inexpensive. I pride myself on the fact that I know many many of the restaurants in SF, whether I've actually eaten there or heard of it. I do not know of most of those listed. I vaguely know of Vino E Cucina - I'd have to find out where it is.

No doubt you will probably get a good value with your coupons, however, if you are really on the hunt for inexpensive, GOOD food, I'd recommend asking here (there is an old thread about Cheap Eats in SF) or going to the SF Message Board at chowhound.com.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Hi artlover, sure undestand about wanting to keep the restaurant budget low, I plan on going to Europe next spring/early summer and am feeling the same way.

I am not familar with the restaurants you listed but may I direct you to the SF Chronical website which is: www.sfgate.com. On the left side of the screen you will find "Food and Dining". Click that on and then review that site including "cheap eats". The Chron does a pretty good job of reveiwing restaurants, cafes etc. I hope this will be of some help to you. And welcome to San Francisco! Have a wonderful week.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:33 PM
SAB

I suggest that you pick some in the book that are near where you are staying or near something you might visit and ask the people on Chowhound about them. Many folks there explore far and wide looking for cheap eats, plus you can probably reach more locals. I think I recognize Thepin Thai as a restaurant behind Davies that we sometimes grab a quick bite in before going to the symphony if we haven't made reservations at better places. Decent, nothing special Thai--no way a place to go out of the way for--if you were out and about in Hayes Valley and wanted to grab dinner, it would be fine. I also recognize Little Nepal as a Nepalese restaurant that a friend took me to in Bernal Heights, again an OK neighborhood restaurant. Finally, I think Vino e Cucina is a little place on 3rd St. in SOMA just under a Bay Bridge ramp, never been.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. I've checked chowhound and sfgate websites and have gotten some tips there and have thought about posting on chowhound as well, but thought I'd check it out here first. Neighborhood isn't a big issue as we plan to go all over--both of us lived in SF for many years and it's like "old home" for us, but as tourists this time.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I go to Italy and I also go to San Francisco. Even with the dollar in the toilet, I sure find great dining in Italy a lot cheaper than in San Francisco. Sure, there are budget choices in both places, but I shy away from places that have to resort to half price coupons in a city as busy as San Francisco. I feel like MikeT -- if they can't do enough business without luring people in with coupons there must be something wrong, or at least not so great about it.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I've found some very good places in Seattle, Oahu, and NYC from the Entertainment books, especially new places that want to get the word out. And yes, I don't expect the same quality in SF as we had in Italy, which is why I'll lean toward Asian over Italian. Well, to each their own, but I'm still looking for suggestions on places others may have been who live there and use the books (I live in Seattle and could give several suggestions of very good places that are in the book here--I get one every year and am more than happy for the money I save--which I'd much rather spend in Italy or Spain or France despite the dollar in the toilet!)
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Have you looked at Trade Entertainment Coupons?
You might even be able to trade for the coupons you are looking for with someone else.
It makes it more worth buying the book if you can trade for the coupons you like.

www.tradeentertainmentcoupons.com
Trade Entertainment Coupons
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM

In San Francisco, going to restaurants in the Entertainment book will not save money and will not lead you to successful restaurants. The most popular restaurants in Chinatown, for example, are not in the Entertainment book. None of the popular dim sum places or Indian buffets or Japantown restaurants is in the Entertainment book. Cha-cha-cha restaurant on Haight street is the favorite of all of my friends who have visited SF, and I bet it is not in the Enterainment book.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM

I think you will have more fun if you eat at places of your choice (and that are convenient) rather than let this important part of your trip be dictated to you by the options in the Entertainment Book.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Date Police: I know this was posted in 2005; it doesn't change my opinion.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:51 PM

Made me smile with that last post. =-)
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:12 AM

Me too.
I've never understood the appeal of Entertainment books on vacation. Enjoy reasonable restaurants in the area you find yourself when you are hungry. Too much of a hunt to find a place offering a "deal" when they are offering discounts because they aren't successful restaurants. At home, maybe (no, never for me), but on vacation? Spend your time - and money - more wisely.