S.F./Oakland Trip

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Troy

S.F./Oakland Trip

Hi everybody.
My 11 year old son and I are trying to go to an Oakland Raiders Football game. I need some advice on lodging. Where would be a good place to stay near the stadium, preferably within walking distance. Also, can you catch a cab after the game near the stadium? If so can you recomend a good place to stay in Okland.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:47 AM
James

Troy, I would highyl recommend NOT staying within walking distance of the Raiders stadium. It's not really a very pleasant area.

It would be better to stay somewhere near a BART station (the rapid transit system). The trains run directly to the stadium and many people use this method for getting to and from the games.

One option might be to stay at the Courtyard hotel in downtown Oakland. It's right near the 12th Street station. There are also a Marriott and a Holiday Inn Express (I believe) located there.

Downtown Oakland is a little desolate after work hours however.

If you have a car and are willing to drive to the game and park there, there are many more options. The stadium is fairly close to the airport, so there are a lot of airport-oriented hotels you could stay at.

Does anyone else have better ideas?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:37 PM
kam

How about Jack London Square and then take the BART down or research how you can stay in SF and take public transportation to the game. I know it can be done, we are 49s fans, however. Good luck. Agree with not staying walking distance to stadium.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Jacque

I totally agree with just staying somewhere along the BART route and taking it to the game. It is so easy to get to the stadium and back using BART. Just research some of the cities along the route and pick one that looks interesting. You could stay in SF or Walnut Creek, Fremont, Pleasanton. Lots of options.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:33 PM
James

Basically, any hotel in downtown San Francisco would be within a ten minute walk to a BART station. The BART ride to the Coliseum would be about 25 minutes from downtown SF. The cost is $2.75 each way per person. Of course, satying in downtown SF would be a bit more expensive than staying in the East Bay.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Janet

We have stayed at Jack London Square before to go to a raider game. Nice place and lots of restaurants. We were a group and had a bus so maybe the locals could tell you how to get there. This year we are staying in San Francisco. A warning if you are a fan of the team playing the raiders do not wear your teams colors. Thats the only stadium we go to that we cannot wear our teams colors.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:49 PM
kerry

Is this a night game or a day game and what is your budget?

The waterfront hotel in Jack London square is nice, but you need to walk a few blocks or taxi to 12th street Bart (past the police station and county jail facility) so not as attractive for a night game.

Downtown Berkeley is a good option if you want safer location for evening game and less expensive lodgings than San Francisco. I believe Shattuck Hotel in Berkeley is pretty nice and is about a block from BART.

Definitely plan to BART to and From the game. That way you do not have to worry about a taxi unless you are too far from a BART station on the hotel side.

I would not recommend staying anywhere near the stadium or the airport.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:39 AM
J Correa

Yeah - esspecially if your team is Kansas City. Definitely not a good idea to wear your team's colors to a Raider game.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:42 PM
Troy

Thanks everybody for the information.
You have been very helpfull. Based on the info you have given me, we are going to stay in S.F. and ride the BART.
Thanks again

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 04:43 PM
Raiders fan

I agree with most of the responses. The area around the stadium is not a nice area. I've been to Raider/A's games where I didn't feel that safe in the parking lot and I grew up in the area. Better to stay at the airport or in downtown SF. Once in the stadium, it will be worth it.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:25 AM
Lindy

Consider staying at Jack London Square or the Courtyard on Broadway in Oakland. Agree with all -- DO NOT try staying within walking distance of the Collisium. I always take Bart to games. Parking is too stressful.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
James

Hi Trot:

Just some quick BART info for you. From downtown San Francisco, you can board at any of four stations under Market Street: Embarcadero (closest to the Ferry Building), Montgomery (at Montgomery Street and the Palace hotel), Powell (At Powell Street and the cable care turnaround) and Civic Center (near Eighth Street and the New Main Library) .

You need to buy a ticket for each person. However, you should put enough money on each ticket to get there AND back (so you don't have to wait in line after the game to add money). The one-way cost is $2.75, so make sure you buy two tickets each with $5.50 on them.

You can board any train going to Dublin/Pleasanton or Fremont (on Sunday, only the Dublin/Pleasanton train runs, with trains running at 20 minute intervals). Do not take any other train.

After the train leaves SF, you go under the bay, come up in West Oakland, go udnerground to Lake Merritt and then come above ground again for the two stops to the coliseum. Not a long trip at all.

Upon return, board any San Francisco train from the Coliseum.

Enjoy ;-)