RV Driving on roads in Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard conflicting reports on driving an RV through Yellowstone. We are first-timers and want to know if the roads are dangerous. I don't mind them being narrow but are there cliffs we have to worry about? Or areas with no guard rails and drop offs? It's supposed to be a fun vacation!
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
maj

I've never been in an RV but the only road that readily comes to mind without guard rails in places and drop offs is Dunraven Pass. (and probably Beartooth Highway) I commented when we were there last week that I thought it would be hard to drive through the park with an RV and be able to stop for the many animal sightings. If there isn't a pullout nearby that isn't already full you have to pull all the way over on the road within the white line. Sometimes our small mazda was on a very steep angle and cars were scraping the bottom when they pulled out of some of these areas.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM

We did the Beartooth Hwy in our 24 ft motorhome and the Dunraven Pass (the area between Tower Falls and Canyon) last year in the 30 ft motorhome. These two areas have a lot of switchbacks with drop offs.

Craigs Pass (between Old Faithful and West Thumb) has a short section.

Your bigger worry should be wildlife and vehicles that stop in the middle of the road for them!

Utahtea