Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yellowstone in Winter: What tours/activities to include? Canyon, Firehole, Norris?

Yellowstone in Winter: What tours/activities to include? Canyon, Firehole, Norris?

Jan 24th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Help?
Only have so much time & not sure what's a priority to include while in Yellowstone this winter. :-\

Staying 2 nights at Old Faithful (so only one full day there & 2 half days).

Doing a couple of nights at Mammoth, too.

Already have a wildlife outing planning (privately) for the Lamar Valley. And we have to take the snowcoach to Old Faithful from Mammoth, which I guess includes some sights too? (not sure if that includes Norris Geyser basin or not) If not,
a half day tour *is* offered there from Mammoth.

Anything unique there compared to exploring around Old Faithful more, instead? (since we'll be there) Firehole Basin? Again, a half day tour but from Old Faithful.
Worthwhile, or even a highlight somehow?

Perhaps what we hear is so great around Old Faithful is actually an area like this?? Or not?

Also, they offer full day trips out to Canyon via snowmobile or snowcoach. I prefer not to do snowmobiles I think, due to not wanting to aggravate the wildlife. But we'll already have long days in the coach coming & going, so wondering if this would be 'overkill' for little payoff?

Is Canyon that wonderful in winter? Colorful, or hard to see colors due to snow? Feedback?

Lastly, I read about Tower Falls icing over. But am unsure if one can access views via snowshoe or if one must be able to ski? I can't, but my hubby can. So would love ideas! Also, heard some ski trip is nice from Old Faithful...Fairy Falls or Mystic something? We only have so much time, so just want to choose wisely for this short trip of ours. Thanks so much! (and I can *try* to take a lesson but hubby doesn't think I could suddenly nordic ski 5+ miles, not having done it before, and I tend to agree!) Thanks!!

Also, they offer a night tour called the Sounds & Mysticism of Yellowstone or something like that.
Goes from Old Faithful. Anyone ever tried this?
Jan 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Anyone a winter traveller
to Yellowstone?
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Daydreamer,

I can't answer your questions but I'm topping this for you because my husband wants us to plan a winter trip to Yellowstone for early 2009 and I'd like to have some of this info, too. Please post a trip report when you get back.

Good luck getting some answers. Also, if you haven't already, do a search here for Yellowstone in winter. There was a post about it not too long ago.

Fran
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I qualify as a winter visitor to Yellowstone, but I'm not sure that my experience will be helpful to Daydreamer because we went on a package tour out of Seattle. Old Faithful Inn (actually, the Snow Lodge next door) was our base of operations, and we pretty much went where the naturalist/tour guide wanted to go. Never made it to Mammoth; if we saw the Lamar Basin I do not recall it being identified by name.

Having said all that, it was a fabulous trip.
Jun 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Daydreamer,

Did you make your winter trip? If so, how was it?

I've booked our trip for February '09.

Fran