Rt 12 Tropic to Escalante and Boulder.

Apr 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Rt 12 Tropic to Escalante and Boulder.

I may be in the area late in the day and want to make sure I'm not driving in "Steep Hill, Sharp Curves" after dark,

Can anybody remember where the level road ends and the craziness begins?

I remember around Cannonville it was level and between Hole-in-the-Rock Road and Boulder it was not what I would want to drive at night.

So somewhere on either side of Escalante the fun begins.

Does anybody remember where?
Apr 16th, 2010, 02:16 AM

The 'scary' section starts about 10 miles north of Escalante and continues to Boulder.
Apr 16th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

I guess you mean 10 miles east of Escalante.

I drove it on my 2007 trip but don't remember where it starts.

I may be going on a very short trip with my daughter and we may arrive around or after sunset.

Depending upon how late aour arrival is I may book a motel a bit soone. Maybe Tropic.
Apr 16th, 2010, 03:51 AM

OK east then
Apr 16th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Arghh!!!

No! No! I meant to write west.

Peter, let me start over.

On which side of Escalante does the "craziness" start? The Boulder side (east) or Tropic side (west)?
Apr 16th, 2010, 04:59 AM

Let's keep try it this way...it is tame from Tropic to about 10 to 15 miles beyond (east of)Escalante. The craziness starts just before the Kiva Koffeehouse. The REALLY crazy Hogsback section is between the Lower Calf Creek campground and Boulder (where hwy 12 turns northward). Beyond Boulder is the drive over boulder mountain to Torrey which is very tame IMO.
Apr 16th, 2010, 05:27 AM

This is one of the most beautiful drives in the country. Arrange to drive it in daylight hours so you can enjoy the view. HTTY
Apr 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

I was there 2 years ago but don't remember where RT12 got wild. I know it was from just west of Boulder to at least the turn off for Hole-in-the-Rock Road and Devil's Garden. I just don't know how much further west. On which side of Escalante.

I'm trying to plan a trip with my daughter.

She's married with a toddler so she want to make this a very short trip.

Depending upon how early we leave here and/or the path I put together, it's possible that we won't get into the area until just about sunset or later and I'm not anxious to drive parts of that road in the dark.

Peter, you're saying that driving from Tropic, passing Escalante will be level? So if we planned on staying in Escalante coming from the west we shouldn't have a problem.

In 3 days I'm trying to get in:
Lower Calf Creek Falls
Devil's Garden Escalante
Rt12 and stop at viewpoints
Willis Creek (Grosvenor Arch if we have time)
Bryce Canyon sunset
Bryce Canyon sunrise
Navajo Loop/Queen's Garden
Natural Bridge viewpoint
Zion Canyon Overlook
Riverside Walk
Angel's Landing? (not to the top)
Possibly Emerald Pools (optional)

My trips always have level 1 (must see) and level 2 (optional) sights. Without rushing but with efficient planning I usually get to do all of level 1 and almost all of level 2.
Apr 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Consider renting the shoes(and wetpants, if it is cold) and doing some of The Narrows. It is fairly easy and isn't strenuous. The rocks are slick in the water and you could fall(about the only problem). If it is more than what you want to do, you can always stop and turn back. Just going to the little waterfall(just a few minutes from the start)is pretty nice stuff. I don't think any of us fell at anytime. Take a hiking stick or even two to stable yourself would be helpful. My daughter and I made it to the top of AL, but my wife stopped at Scouts Lookout. Even from Scouts Lookout the view is very nice.

We plan on staying one night at Boulder Mountain Lodge(same place as Hell's Backbone Grill)for our May 2011 trip with my parents. I thought this would work out nice after doing CCF's.
Apr 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM

"Peter, you're saying that driving from Tropic, passing Escalante will be level? So if we planned on staying in Escalante coming from the west we shouldn't have a problem."

Yes. That sums it up well.
Apr 16th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter.

spiro,
Neither of us has any interest in wading thru the Narrows. Even if we did, we wouldn't do it with cameras around our necks.

I stayed at Boulder Mountain Lodge and ate at Hell's Backbone Grill. Just my opinion but I thought the menu was quite restrictive, the food was ordinary and over-priced.

I think you'd be better off staying in Torrey. There are motel and food choices there. It's about an hour to the Calf Creek Picnic Grounds.
Apr 16th, 2010, 04:07 PM

Great description of Hwy 12 Peterboy! There is another really good restaurant in Torrey - Cafe Diablo. It's only open when Alta is not. Greg, the owner and chef, skis at Alta all winter and opens his restaurant in Torrey during the "off season"! Oh and there are really great burgers at "Slacker's."
Apr 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM

I ate at Slackers and stayed Chuckwagon in Torrey. I also ate at another Hamburger joint(can't remember the name). What exactly is the condiment that everyone there has on the table? I forget what it was even called.

I certainly don't blame anyone for not taking there camera's on The Narrows, but I didn't have any problem. I always put them in freezer bags, then in a trash bag. Zion adventure company also rents a drybag for $3 or $4 per day. I do this even when kayaking and my camera has survived several trips with even an occasional turnover. I saw several people with babies on those baby backpacks. The Narrows is one of my favorites things I have done in a NP, but I guess it's not for everyone.