COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Royal Pacific Motor Inn in SF- has anyone stayed there?

Old May 30th, 1999, 03:15 AM
dbay

I'm interested in getting opinions from people who know about this hotel. It is AAA recommended but I'm concerned about the strip joints etc. that may be located very near by. We want our kids to get a feel for the city but they dont't need to see everything! Thanks.

Old May 30th, 1999, 02:41 PM
wendy

Where is it located? You really only need to worry about places located in the Tenderloin area.

Old May 30th, 1999, 04:47 PM
dbay

Hi! Thanks for your response. The Royal Pacific is located on Broadway between Grant and Stockton close to the intersection of Broadway and Columbus. Thanks for any additional advice.

Old May 30th, 1999, 11:29 PM
wendy

That's the North Beach area, where there are a lot of strip clubs. (revising my earlier statement)
What other options do you have?

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:41 PM
stosh

Royal Pacific is in a good location, on the edge of Chinatown next to the Italian North Beach area & an easy walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Nor.Beach=full of sidewalk cafes, restau., coffee houses, residential neighborhood w/families living there. What VERY few topless clubs are left are easily avoidable, not in your face, & not in an area you would go! I would have no concerns about this area for a family at all. Definitely recommend Royal Pacif. for fantastic location; great for families. Check these sites: w.sanfranciscosidewalk.com; w.citysearch7.c for tourist info. For kids-The Exploratorium is great place to go, easily reached by the #30 bus also there is a facinating autotromics display on Early Man at Calif. Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park. Enjoy your stay in a vibrant area in a great city.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:48 PM
stosh

Opps. the CORRECT address has another "dot" = www.sanfrancisco.sidewalk.com. Both this and w.citysearch7.c have good visitor / tourist info.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 08:17 PM
jessie

I don't know the place you are talking about but if your concern is based upon "fears" about North Beach then I would agree that you have no reason for concern. This is one of the neatest parts of the city and is wonderful for walking around. Lots of up scale restaurants and great outside cafes. Most of the strip clubs are long gone and what are left are at the other end of North Beach though this was never like 42nd st in NY and I can't remember a time when going to North Beach was a problem for famalies. I say go for it.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 08:21 PM
wendy

I don't know, the last time I was in North Beach (two weeks ago on a Saturday night) the strippers stood outside the clubs inviting people in...if you happen across that it might be difficult to explain to your kids.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 07:31 AM
Gail

I cannot believe that any one who lives in SF would warn someone about going to North Beach. This is absolutely ridiculus. North Beach is my favorite part of the whole city. As other posters have already pointed out the clubs that are there ARE EASILY AVOIDABLE! with all due respect , I do not believe that Wendy is giving you an accurate view of North Beach. For goodness sakes I have friends with children who live there! If you have any doubts call a travel agent and ask them if they think it is safe for you to take a family to North Beach. Take in to consideration also that Wendy is the ONLY person raising scares about this. This is the problem with getting information on the internet. You have no idea as to how valid it is .If you don't call a travel agent , call the convention and visitors bureau 888-782-9673 and have them put your mind to rest. I have seen postings of people warning people against staying in Washington DC because "it is too dangerous." I would put this in the same catagory if not worse.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 11:19 AM
cp

Dbay-
North Beach is THE area I would want to be near if I were visiting San Francisco instead of living here. It is one of the FEW neighborhoods here that I can think of as truly family friendly AND interesting to all members.
Since you mentioned a specific concern about strip clubs, I'll say this:
a) Wendy is absolutely correct. There are "greeters" out in front of some of the clubs
b) These are on Broadway across the street from Columbus heading east.

It sounds like avoiding them is a huge priority for you, so just don't cross Columbus while on Broadway.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:33 PM
stosh

I agree with CP and was probably remiss on not giving more detailed directions on how to avoid this fringe area. The only addition I would make to her directions would be add that when you come to the cornor of Broadway and Columbus just make a left on to Columbus and you will be perfectly fine. The very reason to stay at the The Royal Pacific is because of its location on the border of Chinatown and North Beach. For many of us who live here North Beach is the very heart and soul of the SF and to be warned away from it because of concerns over strip clubs touches a nerve. The only locaton I would recommend over the Royal Pacific would be at the Washington Square Inn right on Washington Square in North Beach , but this would be quite expensive for a family. I sincerely hope that you are assured that being close to North Beach is a HUGE PLUS for you. Also look at http://www.hooked.net/users/jhum for info on free city tours,especially Chinatown ,AND BUY your Alcatraz tickets before you come here, often sold out