Reload this Page >

Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 1999, 09:00 AM
Leta

Does anyone know anything about the Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort in New Braunfels??? Have you stayed at the hotels in the park? Which is the best one to stay at? We will have 2 adults and 4 teens (15-17). I've heard you can also tube in a river by the park...? What would it be like the first week of August? ANY information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 20th, 1999, 09:40 AM
Laura

The hotels have undergone major renovations due to the floods of October 1998. I've never stayed there, but since the renovations, I'm sure they're especially nice.

There is tubing in the Guadalupe and Comal Rivers. Several outfitters there can take you on tours, rent you tubes, etc. There have been quite a few issues brought up in the papers due to all the drunks at the River, but the place is still amazing and more than worth having to watch a few drunken 20 somethings. Go early...

Same for Schlitterbahn. Summertime is always a bear because of the kids out of school, but like I said above, go early.

Old May 20th, 1999, 02:04 PM
sandy

Our family loves Schlitterbahn. We've never stayed in the park itself. We always stay at the Inverness Condos, rented thru the New Braunfels Resorts (800-990-4FUN) They are a couple of blocks from the park and also right on the Comal River which is the short river to tube on in New Braunfels. Don't miss going thru the tube shoot on the Comal River which is in the City Park close by the condos. Arrive at Schlitterbahn as soon as it opens or a little earlier and stake your claim on a choice spot to leave your ice chest and picnic supplies. Don't forget the sunscreen.

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:06 PM
Mame

Leta,
You and your kids will enjoy Schlitterbahn. We try to go at least once every summer. We never stay in New Braunfels because we make that our first stop and then head to San Antonio and stay the night there. There is a nice shopping outlet in New Bruanfels and a wonderful homely barn of a type fish restaurant that has the best catfish this side of Texas. It will definitely be hot in August but the variety of all the water rides will cool you off. Have fun!

Old May 21st, 1999, 07:04 AM
Flora

We go to Schlitterbahn every summer with our kids. We have used Re/Max Rivercities Realtors -(210)620-5414 or (800)990-4Fun. They have different condos and private homes for rent in all different sizes and price ranges. We have also stayed at the Clarion Suites at I-35 and 1604. They have one and two bedrooms condos and are about 20 minutes from Schlitterbahn and close to the attractions in San Antonio, also.
The rooms within the park used to be really disgusting - bedbugs, etc., but you are literally right in the middle of the water park.

The Gristmill Restaurant in Gruene (pronounced "green") is a good place for dinner.

Last summer, we went the first week in August and have never seen it so crowded. Plan accordingly.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 09:55 AM
Leta

Thanks for the information from everyone. Has anyone stayed in the rooms at the park recently? I certainly don't want to stay there if they are still disgusting. The condos on the river sound good.
Is the tubing on the river separate from the water park? Should I allow a separate day for that? Where do you start from and who to contact? Thanks for info.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 07:13 PM
sandy

Tubing on the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers is separate from Schlitterbahn Water Park. Allow 2-4 hours for the Comal River, depending on where you get in the river. For a short trip, get in at the City Park(or maybe it's called Prince Solms Park) just above the Tube Shoot, go thru the tube shoot a couple of times, float on downriver past the Inverness Condos and then past Camp Warnecke Condos and get out. The tube rental places have a shuttle that picks you up when you get out. The Guadalupe is an all day trip - you go a little bit outside of New Braunfels and follow the River Road north - there are all kinds of outfitters and tube rental places. There seems to be more college kids and alcohol on the Guadalupe than on the Comal.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 10:37 AM
Leta

Thanks Sandy. I think we would rather do the Comal. If we stay at the Iverness Condos, are they very far from the Water Park? I think you said a couple of blocks, but is that walkable? Can we do the water park in one day? Do you know the best day of the week to go? Thanks again.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 04:57 PM
sandy

Leta, Glad you decided on the Comal rather than the Guadalupe for river tubing - we prefer it too. Although Inverness is a couple of blocks from the Schlitterbahn entrance it's really too far to walk because you'll have ice chests, towels, beachbags etc. Plan to arrive at the park about 30 minutes before it opens and you can park fairly close to the entrance. Plus when you arrive early you have your choice of picnic spots. There are 2 newer areas of the park (one you take a tram from the main entrance to and the other is walkable across the parking lot). We've always picked a spot in the original park to put our picnic things in but the other 2 areas are very nice also. As far as a good day of the week, you might call their main number and ask which day of the week is least crowded. Just remember the crowds are less in the morning and then also late in the afternoon. One day is plenty for Schlitterbahn. While you're in New Braunfels go to Gruene and walk around, eat at the Gristmill, or listen to country music and dance at Gruene Hall. have fun!