Search

Royal Kona Resort

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
Toni

Royal Kona Resort

Hi!
We are booked at this resort and heard that they are doing renovations and construction. Has anyone been there just recently, who could let me know what area is involved? Would it be really an unpleasant situation as far as noise, inconvenience, obstruction, etc. is concerned? Also, has anyone attended their Luau and could let me know how it was? Also, could someone let me know approximately how the prices are for meals there, say, breakfast buffets, lunch, and dinner prices? Thanks.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:16 PM
sherl

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Toni

Sheryl, I don't know what TOP means. Would you explain it, please? Thanks.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 09:18 PM
Toni

Oops! I mean Sherl. Sorry.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:06 AM
Bill

Yes, I'd also like to hear comments as I've booked there for April, but according to the web site the room renovations should be finished by the end of this month, and I haven't heard about any other construction. BTW, the new interior photos they show on the website make the rooms look great.
We stayed there 2 years ago and had an OV room on the left side of the main building. This location overlooks the luau area (and also has ocean, pool and garden views) so we liked to sit on the lanai at night, mai tais in hand, and listen to the luau entertainment, in case you're interested.
We only had one dinner at the restaurant, and had no complaints, good but not great, seating is nice, directly on the oceanfront. As I remember the price was very reasonable - in line with the same meal on the mainland - which, if you haven't been to HI before you will find out is a bargain!
A last thought - I've seen a couple of comments in forums indicating that the RK is a complete dump - don't stay there. We didn't find this to be the case at all, but rather an older hotel with the same signs of age that you see in some of the older moderate hotels with "character" that you find in places like New Orleans and San Francisco. I thought it was one of the best values of the places I have stayed in HI. If expecting Four Seasons standards, you're going to be disappointed, but otherwise great location and good value.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Carol

We just stayed at the RKR and found it to be fine for our needs. I agree, it is an older hotel that is just dated--not a dump. But, again, we were not looking for 5 star resorts--just a place to hang our hats while we traveled around the BI. The renovations are still ongoing. Our room was not yet renovated, but we had an ocean front room with a very spacious lanai. We also watched the luau entertainment from our room and enjoyed it.

We only ate breakfast at the restaurant and enjoyed it. We had the buffet and found it to be fine. The best part of the buffet was the omelette bar and the waffles.

The staff at the RKR was very friendly and helpful. I was concerned about staying there--but we had a fine time and would consider staying there again. However, we think we'll do a condo next time.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:49 PM
me

to the top