Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Royal Kona Hotel - Hawaii. Any Recommedations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:33 PM
john

Hi,

Will be traveling to Hawaii first week of March (2 adults/2 kids). Right now I am booked at the Royal Kona on the Big Island. Price is a big concern and was able to book at $129 a night.

Does anyone know anything about this hotel? What else in this price range would you recommend.

thanks,
john

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:23 PM
cindy

John, is there any particular reason you want to stay at a hotel or a resort? There are lots of B&Bs that would cost you less money. Assuming that you'll have a rental car, you would still have access to beaches and anything else you might want to see or do.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:30 PM
john

Cindy,

Actually that is what I am currently considering doing. However, as I have researched B&Bs I haven't found them that much cheaper - plus with the kids along the Royal Kona does have the onsite pool.

john

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Cindy

John, check out www.hawaiicountry.com. I stayed there last February, and my daughter and son-in-law have also stayed there. They've got one rental suite that would be big enough for your family. The place is a working coffee plantation, and they'll let you pick and eat anything from their trees - fruit, macadamia nuts, etc. The kids might love it. It's true there's no pool onsite and it's not at all resort-like, but it might be a good alternative. I can't wait to go back there!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Janet

John,

Stayed at the Royal Kona last year (Dec. 2000) for three nights. Enjoyed it very much. The property is very well kept and I thought the room rate very reasonable. Near a lot of activity on that side of the Big Island.

Have a great trip! We're going back to Hawaii next month -- Oahu, Kauaui and Molokai this time. Saw Hawaii, Mauai and Oahu (of course) last time.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:32 AM
john

Thanks for the help! I ended up going a totally different direction. We are now staying at the Kona Seaspray Condo's. The price is a little cheaper than The Royal Konal Hotel for a 2 bedroom/2 Bath Condo with ocean view.

I will be sure to post a review of the place when I get back.

Thanks again! Just 53 days to go!!!

jpm

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:50 PM
me

topping