Search

Royal Hawaiian Luau

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Anne

Royal Hawaiian Luau

I would appreciate information from anyone who has recently visited the Royal Hawaiian Luau. How does it rate against the other commercial luaus on Oahu (Paradise Cove or Germaine's)? My boyfriend and I will be staying in Waikiki in May and we'd rather not travel far late at night (Polynesian Cultural Center). Thanks for all your help.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 11:03 AM
Larry

Royal Hawaiian a great hotel to stay in but their luaus have gone downhill in recent years. Years ago, the shows were outdoors with free flowing maitais to drink and the meals were served in the adjoining Monarch Room by waiters. Now the luau is a buffet affair outdoors and many tour groups who don't stay at the Royal Hawaiian become part of the luau. It's gotten too expensive and too commercial. Paradise Cove is the best.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 11:36 AM
J T Kirk

I agree - the luaus are no great shakes, but the hotel is one of a kind (particularly the old section). If you can, stay a night there. It's like stepping back in time.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 12:58 PM
Barry

I'm sure you have your heart set on a luau and will go to one no matter what I say, but here goes....
Luaus are incredibly commercial, touristy and often the steam-table, assembly-line buffet actually reaches levels lower than the kitchy entertainment. It's something all first-time tourists do once, but only once. There are great restaurants in Hawaii (even in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel) for better dining, and many hotel lounges/clubs have superb Hawaiian music that far exceeds the luau experience.
I have stayed at the Royal Hawaiian (still the grand dame of Waikiki) and yes, have regretfully visited the Polynesian Cultural Center (a disney-like, artificial rip-off). The Hawaiian islands are wonderful and hypnotic, if you get past the transparent touristy schlock that often stands in your way. Luaus are a rite of passage for first time tourists. Though I'd advise you to have a great meal and a night out, instead of attending a luau, I'm sure you'll succumb..we all do...once. Enjoy Hawaii !

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:40 AM
Melissa

Paradise Cove Luau provides bussed transportation, so you don't have to worry about getting lost or drinking too many mai tais. They recently upgraded their food--I haven't been since the upgrade, but I hear it's a lot better. Also, sometimes the emcee is O'Brien Eselu, a local celebrity/entertainer...that is an extra bonus! To me, a Waikiki luau is simply a buffet on the beach. If you want more of an "experience," you should go to Paradise Cove.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Anne

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I'll hold off on booking any luau before we get to Hawaii. We're actually staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and I found out that they do an evening show and fireworks on Friday night that may be good enough. If we absolutely feel we "need" to go to a luau, we'll probably use our Entertainment Card for 2 for 1 discounts at Paradise Cove or Germaine's. Thanks again for your input.