Search

Route to take from LA to Santa Barbara, also Malibu lunch suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route to take from LA to Santa Barbara, also Malibu lunch suggestions

HI,
Can you guys suggest the best, most scenic route to take from LAX to Santa Barbara?
How much of it can we go by the ocean? Rent a convertible suggested? Also, any suggestions for lunch possibly in Malibu? This is for a trip end of September. Also any restaurant suggestions in Santa Barbara would love to hear about!

Thank you.

Jennifer
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a bit of a slog from LAX through Santa Monica, but from there Hwy. 1 and then 101 are oceanview. I'd rent a convertible, although it could be very warm even in late September.

If you like seafood and can splurge on lunch, I like the Cafe at Paradise Cove or Gladstone's, both in Malibu.

http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com/be...e/index09.html

http://www.gladstones.com/index.html
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM

You can take the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) from Santa Monica. You will mostly be on the coast most of the way to Santa Barbara, the PCH will turn into the 101 fwy and will veer more inland so you won't always get a view of the ocean, its a lovely drive and you will definetely enjoy it.

For lunch in Malibu, I personally like

Geoffreys http://www.geoffreysmalibu.com/
it is more higher end, great food, beautiful outdoor dining with views of the ocean, romantic setting

Paradise Cove http://www.paradisecovemalibu.com
laid back and on the beach

Moonshadows is nice, but I've only had drinks there and Dukes is also a very popular restaurant.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the replies. Any others? Thoughts?

Much appreciated.

Jennifer
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM

There's a Beachcomber Cafe that just opened up on the historic Malibu Pier, the food is supposedly pretty good. Gladstone's has a nice location, but I think that their food is overpriced and blah.

When you have gone all the way through Malibu on the PCH and are ready to head inland to the 101, take Las Posas road towards Camarillo and the highway. Don't stay on highway 1 here, you'll end up going thru downtown Oxnard which will take forever. The 101 only stays inland until Ventura, then you are on the coast again.

Another suggestion is Eric Ericsson's in Ventura, right on the pier, great view and good food. Ventura is only a 1/2 hour or so from Santa Barbara, so you're almost there.

At the beginning of your trip, unless you want to actually see something in Santa Monica, take the 405 freeway north from LAX to the 10 westbound, it will turn into PCH right as you enter Santa Monica and go through a little tunnel.

September should be really warm, could be roasting! If you are lucky it will be clear enough to see the Channel Islands offshore of Ventura and Santa Barbara.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM
lvk

Pricey - Carbon Beach Club www.malibubeachinn.com/dining/index.cfm
Very Casual:
Reel Inn www.yelp.com/biz/reel-inn-malibu
www.neptunesnet.com/

September is my favorite month on the California Coast.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Duke's is nice for lunch, they also have a pretty good Sunday brunch.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM

To get back to your original question, the most scenic route is indeed route 1 from Santa Monica up the coast to Malibu. From there take one of several roads north through the Santa Monica mountains to their intersections with US 101, and then continue toward Ventura and Santa Barbara as the other posters have described. As you travel up the coast, the roads I'm referring to are:

Malibu Canyon road.
Kanan-Dume road.
Decker road. (Route 23)

All of these roads are in good shape, but somewhat curvy. They pass through fairly dense native California flora in a moderately mountainous setting.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree with dbdurand. Although the canyons have their own beauty, I'd stay along the coast the whole way. I really like the area AFTER Decker Canyon.