First timers to California

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First timers to California

My family, son 16, daughter 14, husband 46 and I want to go to CA for the first time. My son wants to see Hollywood and hopefully run into some stars. My husband wants to be on a beach and have a view. My daughter and I are easy going as long as there is some shopping. I have been looking at Sant Barbara Where should we stay that would please all of us. We are going out the midle of July. We will need 2 rooms so we wanted to stay in the 300 dollar range or less for a hotel or resort. Any ideas?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Santa Barbara is a wonderful upscale coastal town. It's a 3 hour drive to Hollywood, good luck with the stars. If you want to be on the beach you have to be in central to Southern California. Anything south of Santa Barbara has nice beaches inf the summer. North can be foggy in the summer. I don't know about shopping in Santa Barbara, LA and Orange County have great beaches and shopping also. June can be foggy and cool. In OC and LA, not been to Santa Barbara during those months.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Santa Barbara can be warm in July, but not usually unpleasant. For hotels, Fess Parker's Doubletree is very nice. The Harbor View is also a good choice. The beaches and restaurants in SB are excellent.
But SB is a long way from Hollywood.
Maybe some place a little closer, Santa Monica or Manhatten Beach? ot down on the Orange County coastal areq, Dana Point, Laguana Beach, San Clemente?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Hollywood is not really where you'll find any stars, or see any movies being made. Its one street, more or less, for tourists. Try hanging out in Santa Monica, Malibu, Pacific Palisades if you want to try to see Stars. Shopping in Santa Monica and Malibu is fun..so is West Hollywood for that matter. I don't think Santa Barbara sounds like what you want.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Santa Barbara makes for a nice laid back family vacation, you might want to hit it on the weekdays when prices are a bit lower, then head down to the Universal Hilton for the weekend to please your son. Friday you could do the Warner Brothers Studio Tour nearby, and Sat the Universal Park and a subway ride down to Hollywood/ Walk of Fame.
In Santa Barbara the Harbor View Inn is great, just south of SB in Montecito the Montecito Inn is really nice. It was a celebrity hangout back in the 40's and celebrities have mansions in the area (Oprah, Travoltas, Ellen).
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Santa Barbara is a gorgeous place to visit, but it won't meet all your needs. Well, everybody but your son.

If you want to do the touristy L.A. things, you need to stay closer to L.A. For star spotting, head to the Beverly Center, the shops on Melrose or Robertson (I've seen lots of celebs at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf), or Santa Monica.

Definitely visit the Getty museum if you can. It's such a stunning location, even if you aren't a "museum" person.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Echoing another poster, you are unlikely to see many celebreties in Hollywood. Aside from a couple of tourist attractions, it is mostly a seedy, down-at-the-heels section of Los Angeles.

There are a number of areas where "star" sightings are fairly frequent. They include Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, Malibu, Studio City, and the LAX airport terminals. It is always luck-of-the-draw whether you'll see any or not but you have a greater chance in these those areas. When I lived in that area for about 18 months, my most frequent sightings occurred in the up-scale grocery stores in Studio City and at the airport.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM
dmlove

Echoing dwooddon to some extent, my most frequent sightings over the years were at Jerry's and at Art's, both well-known delis in Studio City.

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Remember its often very hard to spot a "celeb" since they will look fairly normal without all the make up, hair do's and air brushing..not to mention the fancy clothes.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info!! I guess I was alittle confused with Santa Barbara and Santa Monica in location with the touristy stuff for my son. Thanks for the info where to see the stars. kleroux, I'm with you, I have always told my son when we are in NYC that we probably walk past stars without even realizing it!!I guess Sant Barbara and the sourrounding area is the place to be. Any hotels/resorts in this area?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:41 PM
TahitiTams

Living in So. Cal all my life, I have seen so many celebrities and I don't know if you want to bug them..
I leave them alone.
Why don't you find a great place to stay and if you run into them great but if not, great too!
La Jolla, Santa Barbara, Malibu are great places to stay and see the stars..
Combo pak LA/SD to Catalina Island...another great place in July..take the boat over and the snorkeling and island life is just so wonderful.
For the San Diego Area try Expedia or Priceline..
Try the Sea Lodge at the LJ Shores or La Costa Resort & Spa., The Grande Colonial Hotel or for a reasonable hotel try the Hotel LJ..
You want a place for your kids to play in the water and eat, drink and have a frigging blast..
La Jolla/San Diego rocks!

ljbtc.com
thegrandecolonial.com
hotellajolla.com
lacostaresort.com
visitcatalinaisland.com

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Not much taping is going on in July so lots of celebs are out of town too. I guess you can see Britney pretty much at any gas station though!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Poor Brittany is a very sick little girl and needs all the help and compassion she can get. Being mentally ill is very hard on families who have to deal with it. The person who is ill is often in denial for a very long time and resists treatment. People with BiPolar disorder (Manic/Depressive) are at great risk of suicide too.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. We definitely are not out to bug celebrities its just a thrill for a 16 yo to see someone closer than on TV.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM

When we have seen celebs in So Cal, it's been at grocery stores and gas stations, LOL.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM

It's difficult to spot stars, IMO, because they don't really look like what you expect (dressed down, no make up). I've been in CA all my life and have run into stars in very ordinary places (hospitals, gas stations). Santa Monica pier is a good place to see them.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Sounds like Santa Monica is what might be best. Not far from Hollywood (Plus there are some celebrity friendly hotels and bars on the beach), shopping on the 3rd Street Promenade, and the beach right there for your DH.

We stayed at the Car Mar Suites. HUGE - bedroom, bathroom, living, dining, kitchen. But, not luxurious by any means. (See mixed reviews on tripadvisor) Perfect location - 2 blocks to the beach and 2 blocks to shopping, in a residential area. I'd stay there again but not on the first floor - there was a kid upstairs who was wearing wooden shoes...And they don't mention the extra $$ for parking - but it was only $11 per day back in 06.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Don't forget to visit Universal Studios when you visit. No only is there is the studio tour which you will enjoy, but Universal City Walk as well. It may be busy in July, but worth a trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I've been calling hotels in Santa Monica and realize if I want anything nice, ocean front, for 4 of us it is going to be close to $1,000/night in July ( we need 2 hotel rooms or a suite). Unless I can find anything else, I may be looking else where for vacation this year. We budgeted 10k for the vacation and I was planning on 4 nights in west Hollywood also. Anymore info would be helpful.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
MaureenB

$1000/night would be too rich for my blood! There are other choices, I'd think. There's a little place on Venice Beach that might work for you. Venice Beach Inn, I think. Anyone else know it?
>-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information