COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Route information for Dutch ladies

Old Sep 18th, 2019, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Route information for Dutch ladies

Please give us some advice as what to see, how to drive and where to stay during a trip of two weeks (only) roughly along the route Atlanta-Washington-Charleston?!
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 03:15 AM

We need to know where you are landing (Atlanta?) and departing from (Atlanta also?). Including driving times, this is not a very long time for all 3 places.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 06:28 AM

It really isn't and I also worry how accustomed to driving in the US, particularly Atlanta and Washington/Northern Virginia, they are.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 03:20 AM

Atlanta to Savannah to Charleston to Asheville up the spine of the Appalachians (maybe on some of the Blue Ridge Parkway) to Washington DC.
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 02:09 AM

Yes, there is certainly a route that can be done as Starrs has given and it would be beautiful. But
Atlanta to Savannah after landing--a 3-4 hour drive. Time IN Atlanta? So maybe by the time you get TO Charleston you have spent 5 of the 14 days? Two days in Charleston and drive 6 hours to Asheville--So now we are at about 8 days of non-stop "going". One day in Asheville. Start up the Parkway or 81 toward Washington.
Maybe you get my drift even if times and days are a little off. ;o)
And do you have to return to Atlanta?

Last edited by Gretchen; Sep 21st, 2019 at 02:11 AM.
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Yes, there is certainly a route that can be done as Starrs has given and it would be beautiful. But
Atlanta to Savannah after landing--a 3-4 hour drive. Time IN Atlanta? So maybe by the time you get TO Charleston you have spent 5 of the 14 days? Two days in Charleston and drive 6 hours to Asheville--So now we are at about 8 days of non-stop "going"
????
I provided a routing idea. No mention of the timing of the drive.

The route is 1000 miles and approximately 17 hours. In a 14 day trip, thats an average of a little over an hour a day of driving.

Per segment, it's less than 4 hours to Savannah but no particular day designated. About 2 hours to Charleston. No particular day designated. 4 hours to Asheville. An easy 1/2 day drive. 7 hours from Asheville to DC, but I'd split that in at least 2 days.

Two weeks. 14 days. 5 days with a drive of 4 hours or less. That's a pretty leisurely routing.

Last edited by starrs; Sep 21st, 2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 03:29 AM

Ok, I guessed at 8 days and you are more correct with 9 days available for Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston, Asheville and Washington.
That is more correct for our Dutch friends so they can really see how to divide their time..

We still don't know but now hope they are leaving from Washington.
Personally, I would drop Savannah and doing anything in Atlanta, if they planned to.

Last edited by Gretchen; Sep 22nd, 2019 at 03:32 AM.