Reload this Page >

Route from Calais to New Hampshire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Ellen

My husband and I will be driving from Calais, ME to Littleton, NH in early October. Need advice on route. We are considering getting on US 2 at Bangor and entering NH at Gorham. Or we could get on the interstate until we reach the Lewiston vicinity, then head for US 302 and Conway, NH. We're hoping to hit some good fall color. The scenery is more important than the miles. My husband might disagree!! We would welcome any other suggestions from someone familiar with the area. We will be returning from Nova Scotia and will visit the coast in the first part of our trip so won't return to that area. We would really appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:02 PM
MaineMamma

I like the Bridgeton, ME area--

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Donna

I would definitely recomend entering NH via Route 2 in Gorham. You will be rewarded all along the way with spectacular scenery and foliage. Without stops, about six hours. Conway/North Conway should be avoided. Too much traffic!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 07:22 PM
jbj

I'd stay on 95 through Bangor down to Waterville, 95 itself should be quite colorful this stretch. Then at the Waterville Winslow exit go west and hook up with Route 2 in Norridgewock.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Ellen

Thanks to all of you for your help. Based on what you're advising, we will opt for US 2 and Gorham. As much as we would like to see the Conway area, that traffic situation makes me nervous, especially since we will be in that area on the weekend. Maybe next time!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:27 PM
xx

Ellen, you won't like N Conway unless you like outlet malls and strip shopping centers. The area surrounding N Conway is beautiful, but N. Conway itself is an eyesore (IMO). YOu'll have great scenery via Route 2. If you have time, when you get to Gorham, you can take 16 south through Pinkham Notch to Jackson, then 302 West through Crawford Notch onto Littleton. Enjoy your trip!