Reload this Page >

route from Bryce to Moab

Search

route from Bryce to Moab

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM
brooklandsbuttercup

route from Bryce to Moab

I am aware that there is more than one route from Bryce to Moab. Is it possible to take highway 12 as far as Boulder, and then cut up and take the faster route on 70? We'd like to take in the Anasazi State Park, but our kids may have some limit to their tolerance for the slower route. Any thoughts re specific routes or don't miss stops appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last summer we left Bryce and took Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef. This is the Escalante Staircase and was fantastic scenery. We probably did not ave. more than 30 mph through there due to switchbacks, etc. From Capitol Reef we took Hwy 24 to I-70 and then to Moab. Hwy 24 is right through the desert and we got caught in a great desert downpour.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:21 PM
brooklandsbuttercup

cqrk: thanks for that info. That is the route that looks like it makes the most sense to me from the map. Do you remember about how long it took for you to drive from Bryce to Moab? Is it too long for one day with a couple of stops? Thanks so much.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM

Once you reach Boulder you really don't have to many choices from there. I recommed continuing on Hwy 12 to Torrey, then Hwy 24 to Hansville and up to I-70, but this route is going to take over 7 hours of just driving time. The good news is there are many places to stop and get out and do some stretching of the legs at interesting places. Besides Anasazi there is the Escalante Petrified Forest State Park near the town of Escalante. The hike might be to long and to much but there are some really good pieces of petrified wood below the hike. There is also a lake here for a quick swim for the kids!

I know you asked about petroglphys so don't forget that there is a good display in Capitol Reef right on Hwy 24.

Utahtea
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
brooklandsbuttercup

Thanks for the tip re the lake at Escalante! And, good memory re the petroglyphs! We'll look for them at Capitol Reef!
Thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:16 PM

Highway 12 is spectacular in a different way that a mountain road. Much of the route is over the gleaming Navajo Sandstone formation, the same one that makes the cliffs in Zion and Capitol Reef.

In Zion, you see this same formation in the Great White Throne. In Capitol Reef it is everywhere along with the Kayenta formation, the Chinle, and the Moenkopi.
The latter two can be very colorful - deep reds, greys, and other hues.

Capitol Reef is gorgeous.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:52 AM
brooklandsbuttercup

Thank you all. It looks like there are two plausible ways from the Boulder area to the area where Capitol Reef meets 24. You can either to up 12 to Torrey and then head east, OR, one book recommended taking a shorter, but slower drive that first heads east from Boulder and then straight north right through Capitol Reef. Mapquest puts them at taking similar amounts of time. Has anyone done this latter route? Thanks so much.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:52 AM

East from Boulder? The only road that I know of that heads east from Boulder is the Burr Trail. It is paved until you reach the Capitol Reef park boundries which is shortely before the switch backs and then it turns to a unpaved (dirt-gravel) road. The road that it runs into that runs north and south is known as either the Notom - Bullfrog Road or sometimes called the Capitol Reef National Park Road? This part of the road up to the little town of Notom and then Hwy 24 is a SLOW, BUMPY, washboard dirt-gravel road. I would NOT recommend it if you need to get from Bryce to Moab in one day. Stick with Hwy 12 to Torrey!

Here is a link to a good area map:

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/care/.../CAREmap%2Epdf

Utahtea
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:04 AM
brooklandsbuttercup

Utahtea, that is so helpful! Yes, that is the road that was recommended, and I was worried that it looked very small on the map. Thanks - we'll stick to 12.