Route 66

Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Route 66

Hi,has anyone driven Route66 in a R.V.?is this the best way to travel.
Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:05 AM

We've done several sections in Arizona in our motorhome and some sections in other states.

Were you going to do the whole route?

Utahtea
Aug 25th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi utahtea,this is a trip planned for 2006,need to work out how long it would take to do the whole route in R.V. or by car stopping at motels.
Aug 25th, 2004, 06:37 AM

sandgate,

Sounds like a great adventure! Here are a few websites that might help.

http://www.cart66pf.org/66caravan/index.htm

http://www.route66usa.com/arizona.html

I think that if I were going to do the route, I'd go to the library and see what I could find. Maybe even buy a book to take with me.

Another good source might be over on RV.net. They get a lot of traffic on that forum.

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Utahtea

Aug 25th, 2004, 07:38 AM

We just did Route 66 from California to Kingman Arizona and had a blast! There are actually a few great websites covering Route 66 and I chatted with a few people who had done the trip. From Kingman we headed up to the Grand Canyon and then on to Vegas so I can't say too much about the Route experience. We did eat breakfast at the Bagdad Cafe, which still exists (from the old movie) and had our pictures taken behind the counter!

Aug 25th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Syv

If I recall, the route 66 area between/around Kingman to Oatman is one-lane dirt, with a cliff on one side. Might be fine for an RV if nobody's coming the other way
Aug 25th, 2004, 11:42 AM

We've done the route between Topock, AZ thought Oatman, AZ to Kingman, AZ on Old Route 66 in our 23 foot Class A Winnebago Motorhome. The road is fine and it is paved all the way. It is narrow in some spots but there is very little traffic. Just stay on your side of the road at all times. Between Oatman and Kingman is one of my favorite sections of Route 66 that I've been on. You really feel like you are driving the old route.

Utahtea
Aug 25th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Oh my gosh...Utahtea! You are brave! We were in a Chevy Blazer and it was really bad! The road we took was not paved all the way up the mountain! In fact some of the road had been washed out by rains and we just crawled for about 7 miles. On the way into Kingman from Oatman it was extremely foggy on top the mountain.

I'm not a city girl, I drive a Jeep Wrangler in the winter here to be able to get to town through the snow.

By the way we were not impressed at all with Oatman - was it as disappointing to anyone else? It seemed to be just a fake old town with 100 tee shirt shops.

Aug 25th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Lilylace,

We drove the section between Oatman and Kingman twice. The first time was in our 1986 Suburban in October 1999 and the second time in October 2001 in our Motorhome. I'm not sure where you drove, but I guess it could have been washed away since we drove it. The road we drove on was paved the whole way. Sitgreaves Pass is only 3,523 feet. While I will agree that there are some hairpin curves, it's not that high of a mountain.

Oatman is a tourist trap and when taken in the context, it's a cute town with Burros strolling along the main street sticking their heads into the businesses. We were lucky enought to happen on the town in time for the gunfight the first time. What a TREAT!

Utahtea
Aug 26th, 2004, 06:02 AM

Utahtea,
Maybe the road has washed out a bit since you were there. Most of it now (April 2004), dirt and gravel. Some places much too narrow for 2 cars to pass. I would never attempt to take a RV between Oatman and Kingman. The view is beautiful from on top the mountain though - even if Oatman is a toursist trap.