Rough Alaska Itinerary - Comments Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted yesterday on the wisdom of skipping Denali at the benefit of Talkeetna to which I received some great advice. On that same topic, I also posted the rough plans for our upcoming trip this summer. However, I am not sure it will get much attention buried in another topic, so I am posting it here also.

Here is the rough schedule for our trip. Gardyloo, it does not take into account the possibility of substituting a leg up to Nome or Kotzebue in the beginning as you suggested since we are just getting together with our friends this weekend to start finalizing our trip. I wish I had a better understanding of using the small, local air transport and train system in accessing some of these areas. It was our plan to get a rental car for the whole trip. However, we might be better served—both in time and money--by using the railroad or local small airplanes for some aspects of the trip.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or recommendations on this rough schedule from those of you who have experience and a better knowledge of the land than me.

Rough trip schedule:
July 5, Arrive Anchorage
July 6, Drive to Denali. Stop en route in Talkeetna (Flight see Mt. McKinley or glacier landing; this may better be done out of Anchorage). Continue to Healy for overnight stay.
July 7, Explore Denali National Park
July 8, Drive to Matanuska-Susitna Valley
July 9, Explore Matanuska-Susitna Valley (horseback riding)
July 10, Drive to Soldotna
July 11 and 12, Explore Soldotna (halibut fishing trip is booked for the 11th, guys plan to do a fly in fishing trip on the 12th while the gals will do their exploration)
July 13, Drive over to Seward and explore
July 14, Further explore Seward surrounding area as we head back to Anchorage.
July 15, Last opportunity to enjoy Anchorage before flying home late in evening.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 03:08 AM

Denali is a must see! So I am glad you have included it in your itinerary which looks good.

Using a rental car worked out really well for us and gives you freedom without wasting time waiting around for other transportation - which is quite limited in places.

Other massive benefits of a rental car are wildlife. Having your own rental car gives you the opportunity to stop and look for it, or pull over when you see great views and take photos.

I looked into other modes of transportation when we planned our trip, but there were too many limitations and areas that would be difficult to get too. With a car you just get up and go whenever you feel like it - freedom.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 03:45 AM

July 10 Drive to Soldotna will be a beautiful drive once you get south of Anchorage. Check your timing and the Milepost to see where you might want to stop for lunch since there are not a lot of options. Anchorage to Soldotna is about 3 hours, I think, but very scenic plus you could go to top of Alyeska for views (Girdwood). Lots of photo ops. If you're in Anchorage area for lunch, you might want to eat at Moose's Tooth without going into Anchorage. Great pizza and beer.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 07:43 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Exploring Soldotna will take a good forty twenty minutes. Instead, drive down to Homer (around 90 min.) and go out onto the spit for terrific views. Stop in the village of Ninilchik en route (either direction) to see the cute Russian church. There's a good Russian church in Kenai, too.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 12:02 PM

ok, I agree with Gardyloo about Soldotna which reminded me of a suburban area. There's some interesting shops but if the guys are off fishing for the day, I think you'd like Homer a lot more. As you approach Homer, there's a great view and you can also drive up the Skyline Drive (lots of switch backups on the road out of town) for more great views. I loved the handcraft gallery in Homer. Plan to have lunch in Homer. It's a nice drive but not spectacular like the Seward Hwy coming south from Anchorage.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info on Soldotna. The halibut trip that we all are going on launches out of Ninilchik to which we would have to drive to on the 12th if we stay in Soldotna, so maybe we will just stay in Ninilchik instead. Then we ladies can go onto Homer the next day when the guys do their fly in fishing trip.
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 01:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know where you can stay in Ninilchik itself - probably a couple of bed and breakfasts around. Homer is only 40 minutes or so down the road, and will have lots more options on the lodging and food fronts.