Reload this Page >

Rosario's Resort ????

Search

Rosario's Resort ????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:13 PM
John

Rosario's Resort ????

Since this is the best place to find out. I am looking for feedback on Rosario's Resort on Orcas Island in Washington. Anybody stay there before?

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 10:48 PM
Kay

Spent 5 days there in 1990 !!!!
Could have changed in the meantime,however I loved it. we had room facing the bay. It was in a 2 story building and the room were like the typical motel complex.The resturant was great. We spent time hiking up Mt. Constitution and exploring the rest of the island,also rented bikes.
I do prefere Orcas Island to San Juan (Friday Harbor). There are some resorts on the other side of Orcas but
not familiar with them.
Do a search on San Juan Islands or just Orcas I bet you'll find more info..

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Mms

We stayed at Rosarios for a few nights in 1995 and loved it also! It is located in a beautiful and peaceful bay. Colorful starfish covered the rocks of the bay. We stayed in motel style rooms outside of the main building that were nothing spectacular - but nice. The main home is fabulous.

I love the story behind Rosarios. The original owner and builder was a very wealthy and stressed man from Seattle. As I recall he was in steel and built ships during WWI and he had been mayor of Seattle. He became very sick and was told by his doctor that he had 6 months to live. He moved to Orcas Island, built the Rosario Mansion and lived another 20 years - a very understandable recovery considering how beautiful the setting is!

Have Fun!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Marcia

We stayed in a family unit with a kitchen in 1998. It had a balcony overlooking the bay. We enjoyed watching the sea planes land and take off on the water. The resort has a marina and it is a very classy place-beautiful landscaping. Be sure to tour the mansion. I second the hike up Mt. Constitution.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:30 AM
sheri

Hmm. I have stayed at Rosario several times and have always been disappointed, mainly with the disparity between what they charge (a lot!) and the level of service. My most recent stay was in May; they have new management, so I was hoping the problems would be addressed, but they really haven't been. It's too bad, I think, because the setting is gorgeous and it has so much potential to be a top notch place.

If you're going at a time of year when they don't charge $250+ a night, then it's a better value. Just don't expect Four Seasons type service, even though they charge Four Seasons prices in the summer months. I think there are much better places to stay on Orcas (there are some excellent B&Bs, for instance), but if you want a full service resort, then it's just about the only choice (although the Resort at Deer Harbor comes close in terms of amenities; I stayed there the night after I stayed at Rosario and liked it).

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:52 AM
John

Thanks just one more thing, The garden rooms (no View) are much more reasonable(about half) and they have a meal package. Hows the food? Vegeterian dishes? Do I need to go all out to really enjoy the 3 days (weekdays) I am going to spend there. Thanks again for all the great advice!!

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 04:08 AM
xxx

"I have stayed at Rosario several times and have always been disappointed,"

That's kinda silly, isn't it? Why continue to stay there???

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:45 AM
sheri

Because I keep hoping it'll improve ;-)! It has so much potential, and I'd really like to see things turn around there. So I try it every few years...but so far, no luck.

John, the food *has* improved a lot...they have a new chef as of a year or two ago. I would imagine they have vegetarian dishes, but can't say for sure.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:35 PM
hans

We were on Orcas last week and walked around the grounds at Rosario. The main buidling was very nice but the rooms were in older Motel-6 like buildings. A friend who was just there said there are some deluxe rooms that are very nice but that the regular rooms weren't particularly notable.

However the place we stayed was great. Spring Bay Inn (www.springbayinn.com) is wonderful; you do have to like quiet and remote plus kayaking to really appreciate this small B&B.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:47 PM
ldsant

I agree with Sheri. I've stayed there a few times (I live here in SEA, so it's not a big deal to go up to the San Juans - although I don't go during the summer, so I can't really address that portion). I'm not impresed with Rosario at all. The rooms are fair, the food is good though, the service is blase (difference between being laid back which I love and could care less staff which I think Rosario has). I'd rate it as OK - nothing great, nothing terrible. I also agree with Sheri - there are B&Bs on Orcas which are just as nice/nicer. The great thing about Rosario is the location and the view - spectacular! Enjoy your stay! We are having incredible weather right now.