Ronald Reagan Library

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronald Reagan Library

How Far from LAX area to his center? Could this be a stop on the way to the Hearst Castle? Thinking of going overnight from LA to the Hearst Castle. Someone gave me some great suggestions in an earlier post but I did not mention the Reagan thing at that time.

Any and all suggestions would be great. I would love to hear about other interesting things and routes going and coming.
Thanks Sadie
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 11:22 AM

Reagan Library is on the way to the Hearst castle and its approx 47-50 miles from LAX, w/o traffic less than an hour drive. You can take the 405 to the 101 to the 23N. Reagan Library is off 23N, take Olsen Road to Presidential Drive. Reagan Library is small but there is a lot to see. You could spend several hours and then resume your trip to Hearst Castle. However, plan to see the castle on day two.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Jun20

The Reagan Library is located in a very beautiful setting in Simi Valley and is very enjoyable. Next summer they will be opening a new building with Reagan's Presidential Plane.

Another stop not too far off Hwy 101, and north of Santa Barbara, is the Danish community of Solvang. It is quite touristy, and shop til you drop.
That is known as the Santa Ynez Valley, and they have some wineries in that area.

Hwy 154 (heading north from Hwy 101 just on the northern edge of Santa Barbara with a turn-off to Solvang) is a mountainous drive. Lake Cachuma water level will probably be low, and the drive is pretty (designated as scenic), shorter, but perhaps a little more stressful. I'm passing this along, but I think it will be a little much on an overnight trip to Hearst Castle.

The Mission of Santa Barbara is also very beautiful.

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great help. I will be asking more questions, keep the answers coming. Sadie
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Jun, I liked your suggestion about Solvang, that is the kind of thing I am looking for. If we cannot make the 2 days to Hearst Castle we will just go to the Reagan Library, are there any unique things (Missions etc) we can see in that area in one day? We are also making a 1 day trip to San Diego. Are there any good missions in that area?
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Here's another vote for the Reagan library! Its probably our favorite of all the Presidential libraries, and we've seen all but Kennedy's (next summer, hopefully.)

If you have time, Nixon's library is in Yorba Linda, California, not too far from Disneyland. Its also MOST worthy of a visit if you have time and / or feel like making time. Personally imo, i would see that and not Solvang.

The mission at Santa Barbara was also a favorite. About an hour north of San Diego is the San Juan Capistrano mission. Its open during a lengthy renovation, but still very nice.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 02:19 PM
kkj

I love Presidential Libraries. Most are excellent. I thought Regan's was great. I happened to be there on the one day each year that they let people into the basement archives. I don't know if this is still the case or not, but it was quite a treat.

If you do have time make a quick stop at Nixon's Library also.

Note to Ellen Griswold -- Kennedy's Library is the cream of the crop. It is simply the best.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encourgement on the Libraries.We have also been to Kennedys. It was great. We are working on the rest.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Jim

California has the libraries of two of our greatest presidents. Both in the L.A. area and both outstanding libraries and well worth the visit.