Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Romantic rendezvous in D.C. - one night only!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be on a business trip in DC and have managed a one night get away for my boyfriend and I on Oct. 8th (we are in a cross-border relationship - long story!) I have a suite at the Omni Shoreham (Calvert & Connecticut) and have requested early check in - he has to leave at 7:00 a.m the next morning. I'm looking for suggestions for the evening - part of me is thinking cocktail hour drinks at a nice bar, then massages at the hotel (I think I can arrange to have these in the room), then dinner in the room. Does anyone know what the food is like at the hotel? If it isn't great we could bypass room service and have a gourmet picnic in the room instead (I believe there is also a park near the hotel - Rock Creek? - maybe we could do a real sunset picnic there and take along a bottle of wine). Or should we go out for dinner? Anywhere close to the hotel you would recommend? I would be thinking of something in the $150-$200 range.

Thanks in adavance!!

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:24 AM

I would personally opt for a dinner out rather than room service, alhtough I will also say I do not have personal experience with the Omni.

I would suggest Lebanese Taverna or Petits Plats...both in 2600 block of Connecticut Ave.

www.lebanesetaverna.com
www.petits-plats.com

You can read restaurant reviews for both here:

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/aralpha.html

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:28 AM

You should go out for dinner.

Here: http://www.cashionseatplace.com

It's a short (5 minute?), beautiful stroll just across the Calvert St. Bridge. Reservations essential. Reserve ASAP.

Afterwords, there are endless options in Adams Morgan for an after dinner cocktail.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:39 AM

If I had the choice of the restaurants I suggested and the evening Bardo1 suggested, I'd take Bardo's advice. Adams Morgan is fabulous, and food at Cashion's is consistently excellent.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:19 AM

Hi!
A picnic sounds nice, but the reality is that it might be a bit of a hassle to put together while on a business trip and the evening weather by Oct. 8th is iffy. It could be a pleasant, cool evening or it could be very cold and windy.

I like both beanweb24 and bardo1's recommendations.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Hokay - I checked out Cashion's website and did a Chowhound search and I've already made reservations there (slow morning at work - ha!) The menu looks fabulous and I like that it is a short walk from the hotel. Thanks for your help!!

Now for some more help - cocktails before dinner (6:30/7:00'ish) - where to go? We like classic places more than see and be seen ones. Sometimes good hotel bars are my favourite - they often have great bartenders and it's nice to say to your partner - you head down to the bar I'll meet you there when I've freshened up (a la "Pretty Woman" - except without the hookers!) Any chance there is a good bar at the Omni? Other suggestions?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:49 AM

Cashion's is one of Washington Post restaurant critic Tom Sietsema's favorites. Located in Adams Morgan, just north of Dupont Circle, it might be worth it. The Omni is definitely within walking distance.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM

There are lots of bars near Cashion's in Adams Morgan. My favorite is Felix - I think it is still there. Right around the corner from the restaurant. Also, there is a Brazilian restaurant/bar right across the street from the restaurant that is kind of fun, but I can't remember the name.

Felix is funky elegant. Nothing in Adams Morgan is really classic, but you might have fun there!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:28 AM

Bardo consistently gives the best DC dining advice on this board. Take it to the bank (and reserve at Cashion's.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:02 AM

You'll see bar after bar once your in the Adams Morgan neighborhood.

Felix is a great idea.

Other possibilites along the lines you're seeking include Pharmacy Bar @ 2337 18th St. NW and Cafe Toulouse @ 2431 18th St. NW.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:06 AM

You also might want to consider New Heights. It's practically across the street from the Omni and it's consistently good.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:13 AM

Just order in, have Chinese, get naked, and enjoy the evening. Why do you have to torture the guy.