Reload this Page >

Romantic NYC Weekend

Search

Romantic NYC Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 05:32 AM
Kate

Romantic NYC Weekend

We are going to New York for the weekend in 2 weeks. We were there 5 years ago and stayed in Times Square at the Sheraton. What is a more romantic hotel/area to stay in? We would like to keep the rate to $200/night. Also any recommendations for romantic restaurants are appreciated. Also how likely is it that we can purchase tickets at Hot tix for Chicago or Cabaret for Saturday evening? Thanks!!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 06:02 AM
igor

It might be a little over your price
range but one of the hotels recommended
here on the forum in Michellangelo (it
is on the 7th ave between 50 and 51
streets). The rooms there are gorgeous
and very large. it is probably the best
bang for your buck. Or you can pay
200 dollars and stay in a small room
in Iroquois (which has a lot of charm).

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:27 AM
Tom

Kate,
Try the Gramercy Park Hotel. It is in a much less touristed area, across the street from Gramercy Park, and I understand they have weekend package deals.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:32 AM
howard

Chances of getting discounted tickets anywhere for Cabaret or Chicago are slim to nonexistant. If you want to see either (and they're both worth seeing), you'll have to pay full. And, I suggest you order now!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:33 AM
howard

My above comment about tickets refers to a Saturday night performance. Discount tickets for weekday performances of both are available.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:45 AM
Caitlin

Since I live here, I can't help much with hotels, although probably anywhere is a more romntic location to stay than Times Square! i can make some recommendations for romantic restaurants, though. Note that these aren't in the theater district; restauarants there don't tend toward the cozy and romantic. Some of these places yoo'll need to reserve ASAP.

For more formal romantic settings and really good, VERY expensive food: Cafe des Artistes, River's Edge (that's not in Manhattan, but it's on the water with gorgeous views of Manhattan). People may mention One if by Land, Two if by Sea, but friends say the food's not good at those high prices.

For small, cozy, romantic, and less formal with food from moderate to expensive and quite good to excellent: Alison on Dominick, Gascogne, the Place, Candela, Alley's End, Chelsea Bistro.

The best place to get more info on these places is citysearch.com. Choose restauurants, and in the search categories enter romantic; it will pop up a list. Many have links to web sites whewe they provide menus, addresses and directions, and some have pnning views of their dining rooms and gardens, so you can get a sense of the cuisine, prices, and atmosphere. Another resource is nytoday.com, which doesn't have links, but provides restaaurant reviews from the NY Times.

For your theater tickets, I suggest checking out playbill.com and joining their online club (free) which will let you order discount tickets online. Chicago and Cabaret are shows they usually have tickets for. Both are fun adult-oriented shows, and good choices for your weekend.

Good luck and have a great time!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 12:30 PM
howard

Caitlin's restaurant advice was good, but I'm afraid, she unintentionally got your hopes up falsely about discount theater tickets for Cabaret or Chicago on the Playbill website for a Saturday night. You're not going to find them there, except for this holiday weekend. Again, the key words are "Saturday night." And, it's even possible that you may not be able to get any at full price for either show for a Saturday night if you don't get them soon!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 01:39 PM
Harriett

For a truly exquisite dining experience, check out Picholene. Elegant, romantic, pricy but worthwhile - and save room for a cheese course, which we didn't do but wish we had. For a review, check out www.NYtoday.com -- have fun!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 03:27 PM
Lois

re: theater....isn't lion king the hot show? will i get tickets for aug.28 or 29 easily? (mon. and tues.) thx

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 04:20 PM
howard

Sorry, Lois, the chances are slim to none! But, as has often been stated here, if you are willing to wait at the box office for a few hours on the day you want to see it, you might luck in a get tickets because of a cancellation.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 06:41 PM
Kate

I took the advice of Igor and booked a room at the Michelangelo at 210 a night for a "superior" room. I called the hotel direct and received a better rate than their website www.michelangelohotel.com. The pictures look great - thanks for the recommendation!