Romancing Manhattan- Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okey sorry I forgot to put this under NYC so I redid it. I am not sure how I was supposed to fix it so I am sorry about that.

Again I am thinking of doing this tour. It takes you all over in a limo and with a seperate tour guide. I guess you get out and see things on the way. You really do see a ton of Manhattan from Downtown to uptown, Soho, Harlem etc. I thought you all may have heard anything about it, if it is worth the money.

Thanks Again and sorry about the mistake.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:48 AM

I just looked up the tour, never having heard of it. This can't be true. You want to pay $600 to sit in traffic,which can be quite painful and unpleasant, when a one day pass will get you on any subway or bus for a few dollars? If you are really paying anything over $35,--as they say-- "come see me, I have a bridge to sell you."
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:51 AM

Well I think that's a bit harsh. The hop on/off bus where you have to sit outside charges $45-50. Momof5, could you tell us a bit more about the tour and what you like about it? It isn't $600, is it?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:58 AM

It isn't necesarily $600; their prices START at $600!!! It's also not clear how many peple their limos can accommodate, in addition to your driver and tour guide. (In NYC the term "limo" is sometimes applied to almost any hired car.)

Personally, I'd spring for the Gray Line's Hop On Hop off 48-hour tickets for the family. They're double-decker buses; from the top you can see so much more than sitting down at traffic level (whether on a bus or in a limo). They give discounts for AAA members, etc.

Contrary to what mclaurie says, you don't HAVE to sit outside; there are just as many seats below. But the ones up top fill up first.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:16 AM

Oh sorry- if you meant I sounded harsh- not intended. Just thinking about how much I hate sitting in Manhattan traffic. Especially going up to Harlem- takes three times as long to get there by car as by subway. Sometimes it takes 1/2 hr to just get across town by car which takes minutes on the shuttle. And Soho I love walking around in, and Soho and Financial district are so hard to navigate in, with narrow streets that a larger vehicle would avoid. Even if Mom has five kids and a DH, would suggest a on off tour bus-that allows wandering a neighborhood or the subway with a good map.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM

$600? Are they providing drinks, dinner and entertainment. Otherwise it sounds like some Prom package - or perhaps something they've put together for Valentine's Day. Or does the trip includ female companions?

Have never heard of this - and it certainly doesn;t make any sense.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM

If you want to stay in the same car, you can rent a car with driver from a car service for a lot less money. Chances are that a set tour is not going to take you to the hippest/most romantic/etc places anyway. You would be better off doing some research and planning your own tour either with a cab, car service, or subway/walking. Have you looked at the Time Out New York magazine or web site?
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Here's a limo tour that's 4 hrs. and $75/person.

http://www.limotours.com/

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Doesn't sound too romantic to me. Looks like you have to share with other people, no?
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi
First of all, thank you for your candid responses. And letting me know Italyagain that you were not being to mean to me. Let me explain my thoughts and let me know (of course) what ya'll think.

This is my second time to NYC and my kids first time. I did not really want to do all the things I already did again, so I thought a quick tour would be helpful. I read about this tour and had heard through a friend of a friend that they did it and loved it. By the way the guy on the phone said I get a nice limo, and treats inside and this includes lunch for the 6 hour tour.

I agree I am worried about the traffic and hate it, I love the subways in NYC so much faster. But with the itinerary they give which was huge from the finanical district, to United Nations, Ground Zero, Grand Central Station, Trump, St. Patricks Cathedral, Soho, Rockefeller Center all this and more places in one day!!

I know it is a stretch this is why I am asking you all. I just do not want to spend most of my trip trying to get around to all these places. I pushed my kids in DC last Fall and they were so tired by the time we got home. Also I really would like to go with a tour guide. I do this in Europe alot and love it. You get so much more out of it. I know there are free tours but am leary when a friend had the Big Apple (?) tour and said no one even showed up.

Do you have suggestions of who to use? I want to get the most out of my first 2 days so that the last 2 we can relax and enjoy Manhattan instead of breaking our neck to get around. Do you have a itinerary suggestions? I know I want to take my kids to the Tenement Museums and Lincoln Center tour while we are there. The night we arrive I am taking them right to the Empire State Building it will be a Wed night so I hope not to crowded.

So I really am frugal, and am not dumb just wanted to see what you New Yorkers thought and could give me straight advice. When I went everyone was wonderful!! Very friendly. I wrote fast hope this all makes sense.

Thanks
Mom taking 3 of 5. Leaving 7 and 3 year old at home.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Hi Momof5,

Sorry, no personal experience, but here's a couple of resources/possibilities:

http://www.infohub.com/tour_guides/n...k_ny_1915.html

http://www.newyorkpartyshuttle.com/new-york-tour-faqs/

I did an excellent walking tour with the Municipal Arts Society, but it was geared toward specific interests in architecture; not sure that's what you'd want.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM

For 3 kids and 1 adult, I think it's just crazy to think of spending that sort of money BUT we're all different and have different ideas of what to do with money.

Rather than a private tour, I think it would be more fun for the kids to do a small group tour. The one I posted, limotours.com, the NY Party Shuttle that dsquared posted above or Marvelous Manhattan here http://www.kingofnyc.com/Marvelous_M..._Tour_Options/
are all good options for probably half the price or less.

When you say you pushed the kids in DC, have you forgotten this is a vacation and is supposed to be fun for you and for them? They don't have to try to see all of NYC in 4 days.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM

The one and only time I took a tour, it was in LA. You will be amazed at how little you will actually see in 6 hours. I would ask specifically how long the driver will let you explore each area and then cut that time in half (and I base this on my experience).

For instance, when you get to Grand Central, I assume he will let you out to explore -- does the driver decide how long you will be there for, or will you? And if you are let to decide, how will this affect the time you have at the other landmarks/locations. Does that make sense?
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi
I was told the driver and a seperate tour guide are with us. We can stop wherever we want and get out or not stop if you know what I mean. I was told it was very kid friendly, and my guide would be geared toward kids.

Thanks for all the sites to go check out. The only reason I was going to spend this kind of money is we will probably not be taking them back to NYC, ever. When we were in DC we had a lot to see, or should I say I let them pick what they wanted to see and with this many kids everyones opinions were different. The first couple of days there we really walked and saw things and the last few enjoyed Georgetown, etc.

My kids want to do this tour, they want to see it all. This is why I am even considering it. As my teenager said to me today, do your (fodorite) friends think we can see all that by ourselves in a day with a map? He is serious could we? ANd maybe with our own guide and if we started early in the day? In DC we took a local tour with about 20 people and 2 of my kids are hard of hearing and this is why it was a slight probelm for us and they would rather have it more personnel. We just want to see it all and enjoy that awesome city!!
Thanks again I will check out those sites and loving all the advice!!
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Momof5, have a great trip with your children, but remember..."seeing" and experiencing are two entirely different things! I saw lots of stuff on the tour I took, but didn't experience a darn thing.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
I am going to keep checking into this.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Check out all of your options and decide what is best for YOUR family; no one here should be judging you on how much money you spend or don't spend, or how much time you spend where. If you are agreeable to the costs, time frame, and areas covered then go for it!

Have a great time.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Ahh.... a limo in Manhattan for $600 that includes "treats"?? Sounds so... 80's
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM

"As my teenager said to me today, do your (fodorite) friends think we can see all that by ourselves in a day with a map? He is serious could we? ANd maybe with our own guide and if we started early in the day?"

OK, Mom, let's see if we can make this work. Because with an MTA pass and a map, you can do just about anything! Now, where did you want to go and what did you want to see?
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Thanks Grantop for the support.

A few days ago I e-mailed several people that had left references on Romancing tours site. I have recieved 2 back from people and 1 even called. All 3 loved their tour. One guy said he only comes to NYC once a year and when he does he wants it all in 3 days and they delivered.

I am still not sure what to do, my hubby says go for it. But I do feel better that a few people told me they liked it. I guess to each his own.

Thanks to you all I love your candid advice and kindness!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -