Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain or Banff?

Search

Rocky Mountain or Banff?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 03:05 PM
anne

Rocky Mountain or Banff?

I am planning a vacation for next summer and have narrowed the choices to Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado or Banff and Jasper, British Columbia. My top priority is quality hiking and scenery. Does anyone have advise?

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Bob Brown

Having been to both, it is a hard choice. Some of it may depend upon what kind of shape you are in physically. Hiking in Rocky Mountain NP is often up above the 10,000 foot level and it takes a while to adjust, even if you are in good shape. Much of the really gate hiking in the Canadian Rockies is below 8,000 feet, so the altitude adjustment is not as severe.
My favorite places to hike are in neither Banff or Jasper, but over the line in British Columbia: Yoho National Park, which shares a common border with Banff.
My suggestion is to get a copy of the new edition, the 7th, of the Canadian Rockies Trail Guide by Brian Patton and Bart Robinson. It is the best hiking book in print, and the new edition is even better than the earlier ones, if such is possible. In this book you will find more hikes than you will do in a lifetime! The combinations and possibilities are virtually endless, and the scenery is incredible.
You can get a copy at the Adventuresome Traveler Bookstore.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 04:22 PM
Bob Brown

OOPS. the word gate should have been great. Strange type. Old age and bad habits I suppose.
After thinking about it a little more, I still don't know! There is more variety in the Canadian Rockies.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 04:12 AM
Paul Rabe

I've gone to RMNP four times and absolutely adore its hiking. However, I still consider the Banff Jasper area as having the most spectacular mountain scenery you could drive along. So my vote goes for Banff, even though you won't go wrong with either choice.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 04:41 AM
J T Kirk

Just got back from Banff. The scenery in that area is awesome. There seemed to be hiking trails everywhere you looked; most of which were rated moderate to difficult. Banff (as a base) will also afford you some good restaurant choices.
I like Rocky Mountain National Park; I've always been partial to Colorado. If you've never been to Rocky Mtn Natl Park, you won't be disappointed. Let me add this -- where do you live? I live in the Southeast, and it took 7 hours to get to Banff. It only takes 3 hours for me to get to Denver (then the drive to Rocky Mtn.) So, that'll be a factor in any furture decisions for me. But, you'll have fun in either place.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:53 AM
lisa

Both are great, but I would choose Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper. In addition to the gorgeous scenery, your dollar goes a lot farther in Canada than it does here.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 12:08 PM
tina

Banff! Beautiful during August and the hiking is awesome. Check out the glaciers in Jasper...it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 05:00 PM
mo

Been to both!
Loved Canada...where are you travelling from??? Can be high priced for airfare vs Colorado. The scenery is outstanding with the Glacier melts. Jasper park lodge was the best (look up the fairmont hotel website) Great food too! Fabulous wildlife viewing and can still be chilly in the summer with snow.