Rockport, MA in November? Or where else?

Nov 6th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Rockport, MA in November? Or where else?

My husband & I are thinking of a last-minute getaway for next weekend. Rockport, MA has been recommended, but I wondered if it would be just too dead this time of year. We like it quiet, but would also like some nice restaurants, quaint shops & I'm afraid most might be closed for the winter. Also, is it a "dry" town? Someone told me it used to be a "dry" town but that had changed. Any comments on Rockport, places to stay, eat, etc. or alternative on the New England coast would be appreciated! Thanks!
Nov 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I can be of at least a "little" help because I have researched Rockport quite a bit for my own trip.

Since I will be going in June, I can not comment on what it will be like in November ... BUT

1. It is no longer a dry town
2. Some of the nice B&B's are open year round (and I don't think they would stay open all year if it is too dead!)

I will be staying at the Linden Tree - it looks so lovely!! I am very excited
http://www.linden-tree.com/
Nov 6th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

The Linden Tree Inn was also mentioned to me by someone else. But from the map it looks like it's back from the bay. Do you know if there's a water view? Do you mind me asking why you choose the Linden Tree over the other available inns?
Nov 6th, 2005, 09:27 AM

How about Newport, RI - always plenty to do ....
Nov 6th, 2005, 09:31 AM

The Last time I was in Rockport was in August when we took Indytravel to dine there It was BYOB but-the change was supposed to be the following week when they will have a beer and wine License.
We ate at "My Place" that sits on the waters edge.
Another place we look him to is Ogunquit, Me. Another great day trip and again on the waters edge, we dined at "The American Bistro" run by the fabulous "Arrows" restaurant, also there.
Nov 6th, 2005, 01:35 PM

You may want to consider Portsmouth, NH. Greater selection of restaurants and night life - as well as more shopping! And, everything is open year around. Same goes for Newburyport, MA.

If you're set on Rockport - call the Chamber of Commerce - they'll be able to advise about what's open and what's not.
Nov 6th, 2005, 04:45 PM
jtp

We are regulars to Rockport in Nov. it is a very different scene then the summer -- many places are indeed closed, having said that, it is quiet, stil charming and somewhat romantic...For lodging : The Yankee Clipper is open, Emerson by the Season is open, The Addison Choate Inn probably is open -- Many shops are closed, however you will still find some lovely galeries -- as far as alcohol-- my understanding is Rockport requires that, alcoholic beverages be ordered in conjunction with the consumption of a meal, some restauratns will offer wine or beer --no bars.
Newburyport MA is also lovely, not far, more active and still has a charm --and some great restaurants!
Nov 6th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Why did I choose the Linden Tree? Their website made all the difference! It looks like a very welcoming place. Toby (the hostess) loves to cook. It says she will even make you popcorn while you sit in the parlor and watch a movie!! ... It just reminded me so much of the charming B&B's I visited in England.

Also, they are in short walking distance to 2 beaches and the main shopping area. - Most important, when I emailed them to ask how far they were from the train station, she said they were not far - but she wants me to call when I get there so they can pick me up. She doesn't want me to have to walk with my luggage.

That is class!!