Search

Rockford area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockford area

I'm driving from Chicago to Iowa and plan on stopping over in Rockford. Are there any 'must see' attractions? I've seen advertisements for the Time Museum, is that any good?
Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Rockford...hmmm....the one thing that always comes to mind about Rockford is that it consistently ranks as one of the bottom 5-10 cities in the USA in every poll I read. Whether it's Rand McNally's Places Rated Almanac or other statistical analysis, it's uncanny how many times Rockford will be ranked from 285 to 295 out of the 300 largest metro areas in the US.
It's a very depressed city and looks depressed. I have driven thru a few times to visit a friend who once lived there (no longer).
Never stopped into the Time Museum.
But I'd suggest the following slogan for Rockford: "The City Where Time Can't Pass Quickly Enough".
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Okay, I understand why Ted no longer has a friend in Rockford
Having said that, may I make the following suggestions regarding possible points of interest in Rockford and the surrounding area. Exit the Northwest Tollway (I 90) at Route 20 north to Union and visit the Illinois Railroad Museum there before continuing north on Route 20 to BR 20 which will take you to the Time Museum at the eastern edge of Rockford. While in Rockford, you might also want to investigate the Midway Village and Museum about three miles northwest off Guilford Road or stop at Magic Waters which is located southwest of the Time Museum near Cherry Valley Mall off Route 20 on the southeast side of the city. Continue on Route 20/51 south to Route 2. This scenic state highway parallels the Rock River and will take you by Lowden State Park with its impressive statue of Chief Blackhawk, Castle Rock State Park, the John Deere Homestead at Grand Detour, and finally Ronald Reagan's boyhood home in Dixon. From there it's two miles south to I 88 which will take you into the Quad Cities where you merge with I 80 for a scenic view of the Mississippi River as you cross into Iowa.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:23 PM

When I typed in "time museum" at ask.com, I was referred to a site that said Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry bought and moved the collection in 1999. You might want to double check that info. If you are continuing west to Iowa via highway 20 Galena is worth a stop-antique shopping,etc. Further west, Dubuque has a brand new river aquarium (www.rivermuseum.com) that's really quite interesting.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:29 PM

I have been to Rockford. It's a pleasant stop but there is not one big museum or monument to see. There is a Daimler Chrysler factory but I do not think it is open for tours. The big mall is call Cherry Vale.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Time Museum is gone to the Science and Industry. Magic Waters Water Park is just off the Northwest tollway near the Mall, inexpensive as water parks go., and nice. The drive down Route 2 to Dixon is nice, but much more scenic in the fall. You don't say when you are travelling. Also, you can't get to Rt. 2 from 51 south unless you are starting in the middle of town. From the tollway, take bypass 20 directly to Rt. 2. South of the bypass, 51 and 2 do not intersect.