COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

I-40/Route 66 ideas

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

I-40/Route 66 ideas

I'm a student driving from Nashville to Santa Fe but I have about two days to kill in between so any ideas on where I should go? I like nature but I don't want to spend a day hiking - I want to just drive, take photographs, see new surroundings. I'll go as north as St. Louis and as south as Dallas but no further in either direction. Random roadside motels or city hostels - doesn't matter. I've never been west of the Mississippi so it's all new to me. Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:10 AM

You'll be leaving I40 just as the scenery begins to get interesting....

Oklahama City has the Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, which is definately worth a detour. It is on the north side of town about 5-10 miles north of I40.

Amarillo has "Cadillac Ranch" just off the interstate (you can see it as you drive by).

Palo Duro Canyon (The "Grand Canyon of Texas") is just south of Amarillo off of I27.

Keith
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:30 AM

OK City also has the very moving memorial to the bombing victims.

St. Louis is a very cool city - the arch, the cathedral, the park, the art museum, Ted Drewes, great Italian food on the Hill.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM

If you are anywhere around MM-212 on I-40 in eastern OK you could drop south a few miles to the little town of Weowoka and visit the Seminole Indian Nation Museum.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Be sure to stop for a piece of the world's best pie at LesLey's cafe in Salisaw Oklahoma....it's just off the 40.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm definitely looking forward to neat places like LesLey's cafe and retro diners and what not. Also - I've heard the name Palo Duro Canyon - definitely checking that out. I'd really love to go to St. Louis - I hear great things - but it seems to be a little out of the way. I considered it though.

Any ideas on where I should stay for a night? I'm on a student's budget and I love quirky places (safe, quirky and affordable .. as if such a place really exists).

Anything else?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM

President Clinton Library in Little Rock is fascinating, no matter what your political views are. Hot Springs and Petit Jean State Park are both pretty, depending on what time of year you are going.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM

On your way to Palo Duro Canyon (west Texas) don't miss Elk City, Ok...home the National Route 66 Museum and my home town. Okie