Rochester, NY through Ontario to Detroit, MI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2023, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We are driving on Sunday from Boston to Detroit, MI through Ontario, Canada as Google maps sends us. Does anyone have recommendations of a town to stay in overnight, in a hotel that has an outdoor whirlpool or even pool (yes, open this time of year)? I also would be interested if there are any particular areas on route to stay on a lake, in nature. We've been to Niagara Falls many years ago, and not too excited about the high rise scene. Also, while on this route if there's anything that's a standout we would love to know about it and stop. Thank you!
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 07:40 AM

Niagara on the Lake is a sweet town with nice architecture as well as many restaurants. The summer theater season is over but there are wineries to visit as well as several War of 1812 forts.
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 10:38 AM

Niagara on the Lake would be my suggestion, too. Not far from Niagara Falls, it will be a charming respite before you face the traffic and ever-continuing construction on the Queen Elizabeth Way. My favorite approach to NotL is via the Niagara Parkway, speed limit ~35 mph.

https://www.aaa.com/roadtrips/easter...rkway-SB564959

In addition to the activities mentioned by Madam397, you might stroll the shops of Queen Street or bike (or walk) some of the pathway that parallels the parkway on the way into town.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

I apologize for any confusion of my post. I made an error in that it is Buffalo not Rochester.
We begin in Boston and the choice is to go into Canada from Buffalo onwards to Detroit, or stay in the US. Seems like saving an hour and a half makes sense to go through Canada,
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Madam397 and k_marie for your suggestions of Niagara on the Lake. Last night I was researching how much it will add on to our trip to divert there and it looks like maybe a half hour off the route. It sounds like an area we would enjoy the respite of our trip in general to Detroit! I came upon Pillar and Post for a place to stay. I need to place a call to confirm but it looks like they have a heated outdoor pool open all year. That would be wonderful! From the photos it doesn't appear it's on the lake but that's ok.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You may want to look into Lewiston, NY also.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 05:43 AM

If you use the Peace Bridge to cross into Canada, the river road and parkway will be a much more pleasant drive than the QEW. You will drive past the Falls, the floral clock, Brock’s monument.
Will you have time to spend in Buffalo? You might want to visit the Darwin Martin house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and the recently reopened AKG art gallery.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tom42- I will look into Lewiston.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

k+marie: I think the Peace Bridge might be the way Google Maps directs us. The drive sounds just up my alley. I believe we will be on the QEW on Monday when we head to Detroit by way of Hamilton. Thank you!
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding which bridge to use to travel to Canada - you've got three choices - Peace Bridge, Rainbow Bridge and Lewiston/Queenston Bridge. All commercial vehicles use the Peace Bridge, so sometimes that can get backed up with a lot of 18 wheelers, depending on time and day. You may want to consider where you are coming from and any delays on one or more of the bridges when deciding which bridge to take. You can get real time border crossing information at https://www.nittec.org/. I've experienced delays on all of the bridges one time or another. But sometimes there may be a big delay on one and no delay on another.

Old Nov 17th, 2023, 09:14 AM

We’re in the Buffalo area and have driven to the Detroit Auto show probably 10 times in the past 20 year all through Canada. All except one went over the Lewiston Queenston when there was a major bridge delay so went over the Peace bridge. You can check wait times for the three bridge crossings here: https://www.peacebridge.com/ On a Monday I would wait until at least around 9 AM before getting on the QEW. Once past Hamiton the drive is a breeze.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

tom42 and DaveS; i appreciate your input. As far as the choices for the bridge to use to cross into Canada, I was thinking shouldn't Google Maps automatically direct us to the route with the bridge that is the quickest wait time? Then there wouldn't be a need to check the link you kindly included.
I want to thank everyone who contributed to this post. We've booked a stay at Pillar and Post Hotel and Spa in Niagra on the Lake. It should be wonderful. They have an outdoor pool and thermal tub that is open all year. After over 8 hours of driving it will be just what we are looking to do. Many thanks.