Roadtrip destinations

Search

Roadtrip destinations

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2022, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadtrip destinations

We will be starting off in Florence, OR and looking for recommendations for places to stop in/visit, some places to stay at in California as we make our way down the coast and then inward.
about 7 days there and back.

we are open to yurts, cabins, camping, hotels/motels, etc at decent prices, nothing expensive.

So far we know we want to stop at Mt Shasta, Yosemite, RedWoods, and Lake Tahoe.
but we haven't done extensive research on places to stop on the way or places to stay at.

trip will be planned either end of June or start of July.
Two adults and maybe a dog.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 11:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do I understand you want to drive from Florence OR to the northern CA coast, Mt Shasta, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe . . . and BACK to Florence in seven days? That is a very aggressive plan. Just the straight drive Florence south as far as say Arcata > then Mt Shasta > Yosemite > Lake Tahoe > and back to Florence will take at least 34 or 35 hours butts in seats car time. If you drove farther down the coast to the Bay Area, across to YNP, north to Tahoe > Mt Shasta and back to Florence it would maybe cut 2 or 3 hours off the total drive time but still the best part of 4 full days just car time. That leave next to no time for seeing/doing. Plus it is quite late to be planning for Yosemite and many coastal areas.

I'd definitely consider cutting back to just the southern OR/northern CA coast, Redwoods, Mt Shasta (I'd fit in McArthur-Burney Falls) and back -- that would be a decent week.

Old May 3rd, 2022, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
Do I understand you want to drive from Florence OR to the northern CA coast, Mt Shasta, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe . . . and BACK to Florence in seven days? That is a very aggressive plan. Just the straight drive Florence south as far as say Arcata > then Mt Shasta > Yosemite > Lake Tahoe > and back to Florence will take at least 34 or 35 hours butts in seats car time. If you drove farther down the coast to the Bay Area, across to YNP, north to Tahoe > Mt Shasta and back to Florence it would maybe cut 2 or 3 hours off the total drive time but still the best part of 4 full days just car time. That leave next to no time for seeing/doing. Plus it is quite late to be planning for Yosemite and many coastal areas.

I'd definitely consider cutting back to just the southern OR/northern CA coast, Redwoods, Mt Shasta (I'd fit in McArthur-Burney Falls) and back -- that would be a decent week.
thanks for the ideas! I will definitely be looking into it.