Annapolis Md. - Opera Tryouts

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2022, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I have often bragged on Fodor's, Annapolis is a wonderful small city. It has an opera, symphony, art galleries and live theatres. Its St. John's College, Naval Academy and historical past add even more to make this town definitely visit-worthy. Oh, and I forgot to mention food and water sports.

This is my third tryouts trip report; but the 33rd opera singer finals. The competitions were done online during the covid shut-downs. There were 7 finalists; 1 bass, 1 baritone, 1 mezzo-soprano, and 4 sopranos. Everyone gets a cash award, but there is a first-place winnner and a popular choice.

Each entrant is provided with 4 arias to learn. The singers choose one, and after performing it, the judges announce a second aria of their choice. The pianist has to know all 28 arias very well and this one was impeccable. The only aria I knew was the baritone's Figaro that probably even non-opera buffs have heard. We all loved him...he came in last!

The popular choice was a soprano and took 3rd place...next to last was another soprano everyone in my area said was the best singer. There were gasps. There were more gasps as the mezzo came in first.

If you like opera, this is an interesting experience.
​​​​​
ps-it is free so far...although you can pay for a reception the night before.

Last edited by TDudette; May 2nd, 2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 4th, 2022, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went back to the first two reports and found that pianist was the same! The two visits are combined:

https://www.fodors.com/community/fod...finals-886568/