Road Trip To Kenai

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Road Trip To Kenai

My teen son and I are planning a road trip to Kenai area from SF Bay Area in early summer 2006. We have 3 weeks and would like any advice.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 02:59 AM

The Forest Fair in Girdwood is just before 4th of July. In addition to crafts and good food vendors, there are two music stages. Kenai has a great 4th of July parade. We had good luck getting tickets for a Kenai Fjords cruise calling the day before when we knew the weather was perfect. With three weeks, I would also include a day to explore Anchorage and another for the Palmer/Wasilla area to see Independence Mine etc.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Consider the Cassiar Highway on the way up or down, perhaps ferry up and Cassiar down.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Whoops, I didn't grasp the fact that you are driving from the SF area. Consider a brief stop in Seattle and then taking the Alaska Ferry out of Bellingham. You can get off in Skagway and then it's about 800 miles to Anchorage. Tok is a good place for an overnight. If you choose to take the ferry, plan on getting a reservation as soon as they open up. Check on their website, I believe it is sometime in December. The cost for your vehicle will depend on its size and length. Cabins also go quickly but you can opt to sleep on deck. A Forest Service employee gives several talks each day plus there is always the chance of seeing marine life. (We saw a pair of orcas as we were leaving one port.) As we got closer to Skagway there was an area of the ocean where the color changed because of a glacier river. It was fascinating.
My husband and son drove cross-country from New England and took time to hike in Glacier National Park and Olympic outside of Seattle. I flew to Seattle and joined up with them there. One of the best family trips ever.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of the ferry, at least one one.