Alaska Marine Hwy by Ferry system

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at doing a 10day trip Seattle to Juneau. Want to use the state ferry system. Suggestions please on "must see" and "must do" What is the best time of year to do this. How do we go about booking this. We are in our early 60s, pretty fit. Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Fairhope

Ditto--except for the fit part(LOL)

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM

If you are thinking this year and want a cabin you need to book now. Call the reservations agent for the Alaska Marine Hwy. I found them to be very helpful. We didn't spend time in Juneau and traveled in late July. Bring a good book. Attend every lecture (there's several each day) and enjoy strolls around the deck. The cabins are very small and spartan but fine. You might want to bring your favorite snacks with you. The food was okay and we preferred the cafeteria. I had to work out dates based on what was available during a certain time frame.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:29 PM

My husband and I are also planning a trip in the summer of 08. We will be driving from California across Canada. We wish to take the Marine highway part of the way. Any suggestions on which way and what stretches? We are in the beginning stages of planning and are seeking help. Thank you
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:00 AM

The ferry charge for your vehicle is based on size/length. Early reservations are a must. We got on the Columbia just north of Seattle (nice to visit Seattle and drive the coastal route)in Bellingham. The problem with having a vehicle on board is the extra planning and reservations required if you wish to depart someplace like Juneau to visit for a few days. Certainly do-able, just requires planning. We wanted time in the Anchorage area so we only got off the ferry for a quick look see at a couple of towns. Beware of nothing open on a Sunday in the small towns. We got on the ferry on a Friday and arrived Monday in Skagway (if I remember correctly!). Spent two nights in Skagway before driving to the Anchorage area. Since it's about 800 miles we overnighted in Tok and did the drive in 2 days. Skagway was a fun town to visit. Should have taken a water taxi for a visit to Haines but didn't think to do that. The inside passage is nice but I loved south central AK more. If I had to choose one, I'd choose south central. The drive thru the Yukon is very long but there's some dramatic views in some places. The burn area (forget where) was incredible in late July, acres of fireweed in bloom. The lake (Kluane?) that's turquoise blue. I think the cross gulf ferry from Seward which would eliminate the drive via Tok is only once a month. We're not used to long drives so an 8 hour drive is very tiring. I got a kick out of a young family's description of getting out of the car every so many hours for calesthentics and a walk but it's a good idea to stretch your legs with something more than getting out for a photo op. Since my husband had also driven across country from NH, he decided he would never "drive" to Alaska again. I was smart and flew to Seattle.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Thank you so much. I will remember this.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM

If you take a look at Budget Travel on Line there is a great article about this along with complete details on how to do it.
sounds fun- have always wanted to do it
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM

We picked up the ferry in Prince Rupert and then stopped and took our car in Ketichican(would not stop there again) Juneau (enjoyed that) and Haines and then drove into the interior. We rented a cabin from Ketchican to Juneau, got up early becasue we wanted to be awake when the ferry went throught Wrangell Narrows. Saw more than 3 doz whales on that stretch of the ferry. We really enjoyed it, would recommend it.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:21 AM

Good Morning:

In 2005 we took the Alaskan Marine Highway from Bellingham Washington to Juneau...beginning of June. As mentioned, you need to book your cabin in advance, unless you plan to camp out on the deck...which many people do.

We had a cabin, which was quite adequate. We stayed in Juneau a few nites before taking another ferry across the Gulf of Alaska to Valdez. We had a vehicle on the ferry with us, so once in Valdez we drove around the mainland area for two weeks until the next ferry came along to take us back.

It was an amazing trip and a great way to see the "Real Alaska". The beauty of the Alaskan Marine Highway is that you can get on and off at various points and wait until the next ferry comes along to take you to the next stop.

I hope this helps...if you need any further info, please let me know. This was one of our best trips!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:45 AM
cd

Welig
My husband wants to drive to Alaska when he retires in another year. He wants to leave the car in Valdez (is there a place there to safely park it?) Then take the Alaskan Marine Highway all the way down to Dutch Harbor. Doable? Do you know how long this would take down and back?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I think those that book the ferry straight through are missing its major benefit. One of my objections to cruises is that you don't get to stay in destinations over night. We took the ferry system from Haines City to Bellingham, but got off for a day or two at four different places and then took the next ferry. We felt we really got the best of it all that way. Of course, we booked in January for July so we could get the vehicle on and get a cabin as well (one day we didn't do a cabin as it was all during the day anyway).
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:26 AM

We took the ferry from Seattle (just north) to Juneau. Our plan was to return a week later to Prince Rupert by ferry and drive across Canada. However, the fisherman were holding the ferry hostage in Prince Rupert - so this port was closed, and we had to rebook north to Skagway and take a 1000 mile detour driving. The drive from Skagway down the AlCan was the highligh of our trip. We had a cabin on the ferry and took our car. Neither was a problem. I enjoyed the stop in Sitka (although it was at around 3:30 in the morning). The locals met us at the port and took us on a tour of town - an interesting church and a very nice tour of the rapture rescue facility (eagles, etc with broken wings... so unbelieveably big close up).
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Dear cd:

The only place I could suggest that you may park in Valdez, is the Eagle's Rest RV Park and Cabins located at 139 East Pioneer Drive..1-800-5537275. I have never stayed there, but, perhaps this could work for you. Their e-mail is [email protected]. I am not familiar with the distances involved and the other place you mentioned. You need help from some Alaskan experts..where is budget queen?
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:14 AM
cd

Thanks Welig.