Search

Road trip southern us

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip southern us

hi
my wife and I are planning a seven day road trip through southern us. We’d like to see antebellum homes, civil war sites and stay in B&Bs. We’re going at end of April this year. I’m not sure where to begin and need help organizing my thoughts. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Thank you. Bg
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 10:41 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US board
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Where did you move it to?!

Where is my post now?
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 01:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Where did you move it to?!Where is my post now?
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gee, Janisj do you think the name "Modestobruce" might be a clue????
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:29 AM

OK -- we have members w/ Paris in their screen names and . . . don't live in Paris, have basingstoke in their screen name and . . . don't live in Basingstoke, have Clifton in their screen name and . . . don't live in Clifton. You get the drift.

So maybe the OP does live in Modesto (poor guy ) or maybe not. That still doesn't say they are flying in or driving across country to get there. If they ARE flying in it would help to know where since that is where the road trip would begin.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:57 AM

New Orleans and the Natcheze Trace. charleston, savannah. Richmond, Charlottesville, etc.
Aprill will be beautiful in Charleston and NOLA with azalea season to punctuate your trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 12:37 PM

With only a week, pick 2-3 cities. We visited New Orleans one spring for 3 nights and then drove to Natchez, MS, both have plantation homes to visit and Vicksburg was a major civil war battlefield.
Can't help with B&Bs, don't care for them very much.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
>

Aww, come on Janis. Best time of year in Modesto. The almonds are starting to bloom!

Last edited by MichelleY; Feb 9th, 2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Not copied properly.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 06:09 PM

I knew that 'Modesto dig' would get you
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 06:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Lets hope modestobruce comes back and lets us know where his road trip will start. There are worse places to live in California than Modesto - (Barstow and Baker come to mind).
In May this year I'll be 'riden on the City of New Orleans' and stopping in Memphis on the way to New Orleans. It will be my first visit to New Orleans since Katrina.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are flying from SFO to Atlanta. We decided to forgo New Orleans for another time (Mardi Gras). Our tentative route is:
Atlanta > Savannah > Charleston > Macon (?) > Atlanta. We were going to include the Antebellum Tour from Athens but decided it would rush us too much (only have seven days). Besides, there are plenty of Antebellum homes to see in those other cities, I believe.
So, any 'must do's' are appreciated.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 10:36 AM

You will LOVE that itinerary. Check to see when the house and garden tours are.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 11:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
With only seven days that is a good taste of the Southeast. If you like flying into Atlanta, remember that the Amtrak Crescent leaves Atlanta in the morning and is in New Orleans before sunset.
The Amtrak station in New Orleans is right next to the domed stadium that the Saints play in. The Amtrak station in Memphis is across Main Street from the Arcade restaurant which was an Elvis hangout.
I've already bought my ticket for a tour of Sun Studios in Memphis. They have a bus for tour purchasers that goes from Sun Studio to Graceland.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Tom, the OP is not visiting New Orleans this trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 04:32 PM

So as a former Girl Scout leader, just want you to know that Juliette Gordon Low, founder of Girl Scouts, was from Savannah. Her historic home is there. And is said to be interesting. I won't go crazy here, but Juliet was a fascinating person in her own right (even if you're not interested in Girl Scouts).

One thing I've always wanted to do in that area is to see the Gullah heritage trail. And I will admit it--the kids' show is what first piqued my interest into this fascinating culture. Here's a link to one tour, but I have no idea if it's the only one, or if it's a good one.

Gullah Heritage | Gullah Heritage Tours

Whatever you end up seeing, I hope you come back and do a trip report here.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 09:55 AM

Sample Itinerary - ATL - Savannah - Charleston Road trip

Here are a few thoughts about a 7 day road trip beginning and ending in ATL.
Day 1 Arrive
Peachtree Road is the heart of Atlanta. If you stay in a high rise hotel in ATL you will be able to enjoy what is the best part of ATL, the tree canopy.
Stay near the intersection of Peachtree and Piedmont - a very walk-able area.
Drive around the nearby neighborhoods off of West Paces Ferry Road to get a sense for Buckhead.
Sit outside for lunch at Seven Lamps close to Lenox.
Dinner at Gypsy Kitchen in shops of Buckhead. Or Horseradish Grill (great Southern food, off the tourist path)
Bistro Niko is also great food and a good place for an early evening drink. You may see people from the movie industry, Y'allywood is a thing. If you see a sign with cryptic letters and an arrow it is pointing crew to a film location.
Day 2
Walk to Atlanta History Center and the Swan House
Hit the Beltline: Uber to Ponce CIty Market and walk to Krogg Street for dinner. Uber back.
Read up on Madison, GA.
Of course there are other things to do in Atlanta, MLK's home, Jimmy Carter library, High Museum, Aquarium, World of Coke.
Day 3
Hop up and drive to Madison, GA which was famously not burned on Sherman's march to the Sea
Tool around for an hour or so before heading on your way to Savannah.
Spend the night in the historic district if at all possible. For specific recs, I leave that to others.
Day 4
Wake up early and drive to Charleston
BTW - Parris Island is between Savannah and Charleston. Easy detour if that is interesting to you.
Stay in the historic district of Charleston. Governor's House, Vendue Inn are excellent locations. Mills House is not as wonderful as the other two, but I often stay there. Or I also love The Cottages on Charleston Harbor.
Take a walk through the neighborhood streets South of Broad away from the other touristas.
There are a zillion great restaurants - take your pick.
Day 5
Drive over to Middleton Place. Mess around.
Drayton Hall is just around the corner. Take the tour of Drayton Hall. Both Drayton Hall and Middleton Place as well as most of historic Charleston are not just antebellum, but pre-revolutionary.
Then drive down to Folly Beach for a casual beachy lunch or visit Kiawah Island.
If you possibly can, get out on the water in Charleston Harbor. Rent a boat, hop on a charter.
Day 6
Day 6 will be a Sad Day as you will be leaving Charleston.
If you are in a big hurry go back to ATL through Columbia. If not, take 78 through the tiny towns of Sakerlina.
Go through Augusta -- and why not swing past Augusta National just to say you been there.
Take 78 all the way to Athens, GA. On the way listen to REM and the B52s
Have lunch in Athens, it's the home of the University of Georgia. Soak in the flavor of the SEC and CFB y'all.
Check out the sorority and fraternity houses, the football stadium and grab a Bulldawg tervis tumbler at the bookstore.
Say 'Roll Tide' to everyone you meet.
Eat downtown. Spend the night if you don't have to leave too early in the morning.
There's a great roof top bar on top of the Georgia Theater and quirky, yummy restaurants abound.
Day 7
Drive back to Atlanta. There will be traffic.

LPT: Dodge Macon
P.S. If this sounds too tight do a Savannah drive by. Some people prefer Savannah over Charleston, but not many.

Last edited by sanchesnutt; Feb 23rd, 2019 at 10:13 AM.