Road Trip on Blue Ridge Parkway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an active couple in our 60s and are planning a trip along the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway in July. We will meander along, taking about a week total. We want to see the natural beauty of the area and any quirky towns along the way. We probably wouldn't go to the Biltmore except maybe to walk through the gardens. We do like local crafts, and I understand there is a craft show in Asheville in late July, so we'd like to see that if y'all think it's worth it. My main question is if we want to do about 100-150 miles a day stopping along the way to see things, are there any particular B&B's or small inns you can recommend? We'd probably spend 2-3 days in the Asheville, Boone, Blowing Rock area, maybe even 4 days.
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 08:06 AM

You should go to Penland for a true art experience. It is a school for the arts. It's "gift" shop is the caliber of a NYC gallery.
Yes, any crafts show in the Asheville area is "worth it". It will not be Hobby Lobby/Michael's.
Weaverville has an interesting hotel--can't call the name. You can sleep in the room where Elvis slept.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info on Penland. We'll definitely stop there. Will also check out the hotels in Weaverville. If you were going to the Outer Banks after this leg of a trip, which way would you go to avoid the major roads and see more beautiful scenery?
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 08:30 AM

It is just too long to get to OBX for me. 8 hours from the mountains I think.
On the way east, you could stop in Seagrove for a pottery experience unlike any I am aware of in the US. Over 100 potteries in the area around the little town. You can get a map of all of the potteries in various places in Seagrove. It has been the seat of pottery for centuries because of the clay that is/was available there. It is the home of Ben OwenIV, the latest of that family of potters who is acclaimed everywhere. Go to Jugtown. There is also a pottery museum.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

I read about Seagrove in a recent North Carolina magazine and will definitely try to work that in. I love to see what people can do with their hands and have much respect for their talent, even if I can't buy anything.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 05:51 AM

OH, you will want to buy something. There is fine "art" pottery and ceramics as well as tableware, mugs, etc. It is VERY affordable and beautiful.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 06:35 AM

Make sure you keep alternate plans in mind.
We encountered weather closures of the BRP on multiple days in October a few years ago when the weather seemed fine to us.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 07:16 AM

And there will be times when the view from the Parkway will be the tops of a lot of clouds!! LOL
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 07:18 AM

A further note--I now see that the OP may have inferred from my Penland post that Seagrove was gallery style. Some is, but most isn't. Wonderful casserole dishes, face jugs, platters, etc. And not all Penland is gallery worthy. Just enjoy.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 07:29 AM

Check out the River Arts District and the Kress Emporium in downtown Asheville. Also, Asheville is an amazing town for antiquing. Definitely check out The Screen Door (crafts and antiques near Biltmore Village) and The Tobacco Barn Antiques.

Downtown Asheville hotels can be expensive (I like Aloft the best). Best B&B's are located in the Montford neighborhood near downtown.

You might also want to visit the up and coming town of Brevard, located south of Asheville. Neat little place near the entrances to Pisgah National Forest and Dupon State Forest (where they filmed much of The Hunger Games). The actor Steve Martin liked Brevard so much he bought a home there.

For another fun hike, consider visiting Chimney Rock State Park. Less than 30 minutes east of Asheville, along Hwy 74. The town of Chimney Rock has a kitschy Americana Rt 66 feel to it. The hike/walk from the rock to the waterfall is beautiful. You could continue from Chimney Rock throught Hendersonville on the way to Brevard.

Seagrove would be a pretty major detour from the Parkway I think. You might want to roll that into another trip...maybe along with a trip to Old Salem (Winston-Salem), the nearby NC Zoo (very underrated) and/or a major antiques show. The Liberty Antiques Show (last weekend in April) is very near Seagrove. The massive Hillsville, VA show is Labor Day. The Cameron, NC antiques show is the first weekend in October.

Have fun!
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 07:38 AM

Gretchen is right about the OBX. It would be a HIKE from the Parkway. But...Asheville is only about 4 hours from Charleston, so keep that in mind?
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 09:42 AM

The suggestion of Seagrove wasn't for the Parkway of course--it was if they were heading east to the coast. No detour.
And Winston also would be a good stop--I've suggested it elsewhere.
Interesting to know about the Liberty antique show. Hillsville is an E-vent!! Entire town yard sale!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all of this. We definitely want to check out the River Arts District in Asheville but hadn't heard of Kress Emporium, so will see that, too. Any suggestions as to where to stay in Asheville within walking distance of the River Arts District for less than $200 per night? Also, we are going back East after the BLP, so Seagrove may just be on the way. We want to do that on scenic roads if possible.
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 12:21 PM

Well, you might consider the stop off in Winston Salem also, in which case you could take I40 and then drop down to Sea Grove.
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 12:26 PM

Don't forget to eat some NC BBQ somewhere along the line. If you take some back roads toward SeaGrove, take a look at Lexington for the BBQ capital of western NC BBQ.
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 08:24 AM

Definintely second the Lexington BBQ suggestion....my favorite. The zoo in Asheboro is REALLY good, so consider checking that out as well. I mentioned the River Arts District in Asheville as a place to visit. It's nice that it's an up and coming area but it's not quite there yet....so don't expect too much. Downtown Asheville is still where you want to be. You WOULD love the Screen Door I think. Nice mixture of crafts/antiques. I'm amazed at how expensive downtown Asheville hotels have gotten. You'll find cheaper options along Tunnel Rd. You won't be able to walk anywhere from Tunnel Rd but it's only 5 mins to downtown. And here is a list of Asheville (and area) B&B's.... http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/ashev...-carolina.html
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 04:24 AM

The craft show in Asheville you referred to is probably the Southern Highlands Craft Fair. It is one of the largest and best craft fairs in the Southeast, with many of the top artisans in attendance. The Southern Highland Craft Guild that sponsors this juried show also has a gallery shop http://www.southernhighlandguild.org/folk-art-center that is open year-round on the Parkway just outside of Asheville. Also, for regional crafts be sure to check out the Grovewood Gallery http://www.grovewood.com/ near the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. Because of the popularity of the craft show, and because it is the height of the tourist season, you will be hard pressed to find a room anywhere in the Asheville area for less than $200/night. One interesting option you might consider is the Pisgah Inn http://www.pisgahinn.com/, right on the Parkway about 30 minutes from Asheville, Brevard or Waynesville. It is nothing fancy with the feel of a 1960’s motel, but is has outstanding views from every room and a very good restaurant. It books up very quickly during the season. As others have said, if you can afford it, it is well worth staying in downtown Asheville where you can walk to numerous galleries, studios, and restaurants, and enjoy the eclectic life style that makes Asheville so interesting. It’s the perfect urban break from a trip along the whole length of the Parkway, as beautiful as that is.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! There's much to take in from these latest messages, so I'll check everything out and may be back with more questions.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Just thought of one--how hard is it to find parking in downtown Asheville and the River Arts District. Just thinking about maybe doing a Home Away-type thing for a few days.
Old Apr 25th, 2016, 12:41 PM

Our kids have done VRBO and loved it. I'm not sure I'd particularly like to be in downtown Asheville all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -