Road Trip from DC to Maine?

Jun 18th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Road Trip from DC to Maine?

I'm planning to do a roundtrip road trip from DC to Maine over the course of 4 days..Am I crazy or is this a feasible task?
Mapquest says the trip should take about 10 hours to Portland...can anybody that has actually done this drive give me any advice? Thanks in advance!
Jun 18th, 2003, 08:30 PM
dln

Of course you can do it. My husband once drove from NH, in a snowstorm, behind a salt truck (couldn't pass), late at night (heck, it was all night), with pinkeye (courtesy of our lovely daughter)...all the way back to Atlanta.

Piece of pie what you're doing.

Jun 19th, 2003, 03:31 AM

Um, of course it's possible to do 20 hours of driving over the course of 4 days. What would make you think it's not feasible?
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:48 AM

We drive from north of Boston to DC from time-to-time. Four days? We're there for supper in one day.
Are you maybe asking because you're wondering if you can really do the New England coast justice in 4 days (back and forth?) Can't do that, but you can certainly fit in some nice stops.
More later, if that's what you're looking for.
Jun 19th, 2003, 04:13 AM

First of all, it's more than 10 hours - more like at least 12 WITHOUT getting stuck in traffic. I know some one who just did part of that trip (Western Mass to DC and back - took her 8 hours down but 12 hours on the return trip due to traffic - and we live a good 4 hours from Portland - and this route takes you through Western New England, if you want to drive along the coast it will take even longer).

So figure the majority of two days to drive there and back without any significant stops. That does still leave you two days there. Why Portland ? If you are doing something specific in Portland than I would say the trip is doable but you'll really only have two days there. If you just picked Portland cause you wanted some New England Coast than I would suggest somewhere a little closer - maybe the shore north of Boston (Glouster, Rockport, etc - quite similiar in many ways and will save you at least 4 hours total driving).

Search this Thread