help with east coast itinerary, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you've made suggestions that we have used to make this east coast plan. what do you think of this:

boston - 4 days
camden - 4 days
portland - 4 days

more suggestions are welcome!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

any ideas? too long in portland? would you choose ogunquit rather than portland?
thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Hi Willis: You may get better response to your post if you give us more information about your plans - when will you be visiting, what are your interests, will you be driving, etc. For Boston, four days should be enough time to see the major historic sites, enjoy the museums, shop, etc. I don't know if you also plan to venture outside of the city to some of the other popular tourist stops (Lexington/Concord, Salem, Plymouth). That's also do-able in four days, but again that depends on how much you like to do each day. Personally, I think that four days in Portland may be a lot (we usually spend weekends there) but you could combine it with a trip to Portsmouth, NH or Ogunquit if you choose. Ogunquit is better in the warmer weather so again it depends on when you are coming. I don't know Camden that well, but my BIL spends a week there each summer and loves it. Hopefully, this will get some other posts started to assist you in planning your trip.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM

In re-reading my post, I meant to say that you could do Boston proper and a trip to one of the places outside the city that I mentioned in your four days (not all the places I mentioned!).
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Assuming you have (12) days for this trip. (4) in Boston is plenty if you just want to touch upon the major sites.

IMO 4 days in Camden and 4 days in Portland is way too long. Unless you feel the need to have a headquarters. Are you flying out of Portland (are you flying at all?).

If it were me, I would spend the 4 days in Boston (if it's your 1st time) and then wind my way up the coast; making more one night stops-like Portsmouth, Ogunquit; Kennebunkport; Cape Elizabeth, etc.

It does depend on what your interests are? If it's eating lobsta and looking at the ocean-make it a leisurely drive to Portland.

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your ideas. we enjoy history, photography, good food, walking, biking. we'll rethink 4 days in portland. we're hoping you might suggest your favorite villages along the coast so we could make reservations. i hate driving into a village, tired and then looking for a place to stay. i'm particular about lodging....view of the water, expanse of garden or lawn...porch/deck. we've found such a place in camden...nothing fancy, but it suits us.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

ok, 4 days too much for portland. two days there, then the other two? please tell me your favorite villages between boston and camden.
thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM

Depends on the time of year as many "villages" sleep until mid-June and go back to sleep in mid-September.

Are you interested in coastal only, or lakes regions as well?

If I had 12 days I would do 4 Boston with a day drive down to Cape Cod or up to a NH Lake. Then drive up to Ogunquit for 3 nights, with one afternoon spent in York Harbor and one afternoon/dinner drive to Kennebunkport.
I'd do 3 nights in Camden with an afternoon ferry ride to Isleboro (take your bikes!) ....and the final 3 nights maybe Boothbay Harbor with a whale watch or clambake trip planned for one afternoon.

The wife would probably say go up to Bar Harbor area/ Acadia National Park....but it depends on time of year since this area can get very crowded/touristy. We probably would compromise and do only 2 nights Boothbay/ then 4 nights Camden....with one long early-riser day drive up to Acadia National Park and back.

Boothbay still has the feel of a quintessential Maine lobstering village/ (think Angela Lansbury Murder She Wrote) while Camden is more commercial with lots more fine dining/ arts/ etc.

Then again, a true Maine vacation would, depending on time of year, probably include a couple of nights sitting on the porch of a lakeside cabin, with bicycle rides along the shore in morning, kayaking in the afternoon, some fishing or water-skiing, and campfire cooking at night. Then a trip to a roadside family-owned homemade ice cream stand.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

joesorce...what good ideas you have. we'll check out boothbay....i like villages that aren't too touristy and have the feel of true new england. uhmmm....lobster, ice cream...that means a whole lot of kayaking!!
thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM

Don't forget fabulous coastal towns on the north shore of the Boston area. Marblehead, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Gloucester, Rockport, Newburyport. Take 1A, Route 127 and enjoy the coastline as you go north.
Agree with going to Lake Winnepesaukee in NH ("Lakes Region")which is the largest lake in New England.
Another place to stop on the way is Portsmouth, NH...great restaurants and not far off the highway.
Enjoy.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM

I agree with the last post. Think about spending one night in the Cape Ann area north of Boston.
http://www.cape-ann.com/tourism.html

In Portsmouth NH Strawberry Banke is very interesting if you like history
http://www.strawberybanke.org/
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your village suggestions. now we're in a quandry! we have oly 8 days and i feel i'll fall in love with all your villages and cry when i have to leave.
here are your suggestions:

portsmouth nh
cape ann area
rockport
gloucester
camden
ogunquit
boothbay

i want to stay in all of these but time doesn't allow that. please, please help choose just 3 of your favorites for us. i must stay at least two days in a place to get the "feel" of it.
thanks!

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:36 AM

For planning purposes you can combine
three on your list:
cape ann area
rockport
gloucester
(Rockport and Gloucester are on Cape Ann)

so now you are down to 4 possible stops
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

thanks, vttraveler. is that area (cape ann) one of your favorites?
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:54 AM

I do like Cape Ann a lot. I went to college in the Boston area and we would usually head north to go to the beach. Crane Beach in Ipswich, actually a little NW of Cape Ann, was a favorite destination
I have always loved Halibut Point on Cape Ann (Rockport)
http://www.halibutpointstatepark.org/info.html

If you've read (or seen) A Perfect Storm, the fishing port the Andrea Gale sails from is Gloucester

Newburyport, to the north, just south of the NH line, is a beautiful town with many historic mansions. Plum Island is a beautiful barrier island with a national wildlife refuge

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM

Also, I realize I counted wrong and you have 5 possible destinations if you combine the Cape Ann towns. I guess I would pick Cape Ann, Portsmouth and Boothbay Harbor
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

thanks vttraveler.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 06:32 PM

One of my favorite places in the world is Cape Ann -- Rockport and Glooucester, Massachusetts. It is a short drive from Boston (generally about an hour) and can be a day trip, or take the long way through Salem and Marblehead and stay in Rockport or Glouster and start up the coast the next day.

I greatly prefer Ogunquit and Kennebunkport to Camden.