Road trip from Boston to bar harbor

Oct 3rd, 2019, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Road trip from Boston to bar harbor

We will have 10 days in October starting in Boston. We plan to rent a car and head to Kennebunkport and will probably get there around 4:00 where we will stay 4 days and then to Camden, Maine where we will stay 3 days and then to Marblehead where we will be for two days and then to Boston to fly back.

we would like to operate out of these three towns and go as far as Bar Harbor and when we are in Marblehead we would like to go for the day in Newport.

We do not need to go to any museums but love great places to eat on the water, pretty drives, whale watching, lobster boat trips (not sure these two things are available when we are going 10-15 to 10-24 and neat towns to drive through.

I know we will spend spend a day in each of these towns: Kennebunkport (Cape Purpoise), Portland (Peakís Island and Old Port Exchange Street) Camden (Mt Battie), High Street Historic District)/Rockport, Bar Harbour and Newport.

I hear Rockland (scenic drive to Owls Head - McLoons Lobster House)- North Haven Island - Breakwater Lighthouse - Boothbay, Freeport (LL Bean), Ogunquit(Marginal Way), York (Nubble Lighthouse) Kittery, Portsmouth (Harbor Lighthouse and stroll waterfront) Newburyport (Plum Island), Rockport (Bearskin Neck Seaside village), Gloucester, and Manchester by the Sea and Salem are all nice but donít know if these are just drive through or how to group them together for a day worth of site seeing.

I realize I have a lot to see and do in this amount.of time but I do believe some of these can just be driven through and some of what interested us in doing might not be worth the time.

Any help would be so appreciated😊😊
Oct 3rd, 2019, 08:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the US Forum
Oct 3rd, 2019, 08:11 PM

Kennebunkport is a sleepy little village in October, I would do 3 days there and then 4 days Camden if you are going to make the long full-day trip from Camden to Bar Harbor.

Staying in Portland might a better idea, with day trips to Kennebunkport/Ogunquit one day and Cape Elizabeth one morning and the Sebago Lakes region one day.

Check on McLoons, most lobster wharfs close after Columbus Day but maybe they are different?

Keep a close eye on the weather forecasts starting 2 or 3 days before your arrival as plans may have to be changed due to rainy days etc.

Newport can be a 2 hour drive from Marblehead but you really have to watch your drive times coming and going because you're going through Boston traffic which will be really slow before 9:15am. and then again from 4 to 6:45pm
Oct 4th, 2019, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of this great information. Unfortunately we had already booked hotels so hard to change. Are there any places between Boston and Kennebuncport that are worth spending time in it would it be better to not waste the time and spend more time north of us?
Oct 5th, 2019, 02:52 AM

Portsmouth NH is a beautiful historic town fun to explore. I like the narrated cruises. Dock is within walking distance of parking garage. Petey's in Rye is a favorite seafood shack open year round. Drive Dr 1A to go past the mansions.
Google a list of Maine lighthouses for places to visit. You should be able to find a good restaurant nearby. Sorry about McLoon's. Its our favorite.
try chowhound for Portland suggestions.
Oct 5th, 2019, 04:02 AM

I know you said that you don't " need to go to any museums" but you might be interested in Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth which is a living history museum with 32 houses. It's open through October.
Oct 5th, 2019, 10:16 PM

Agree with dfrostnh about Portsmouth and Petey’s. Portsmouth is an easy drive from the Boston airport and the downtown area is walkable with lots of cute shops. We love Petey’s and have been known to go there multiple times on the same trip...good lobster and friendly employees.