Road to Hana question

Search

Road to Hana question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road to Hana question

How long does it take to drive from Hana to the "Seven Sacred Pools?" Thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:48 AM
mrt

not long. it is the trip to Hana that is the time consummer.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

We're staying overnight in Hana and plan to go in the morning. We are trying to figure out how long the drive will be so we'll know if we need to check out first (we fly back that day). We want to see the pools before the crowds and then take the 2-hour hike to the falls above the pools.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:10 AM

It doesnt take long (1/2 hour?) but I would check out first. You dont want to have to be rushed to get back if you dont want to.
I would ask the front desk if they have a place you could keep your luggage however so you dont have to keep it in the car while you are out hiking etc.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:11 AM
jor

I really think there needs to be a whole separate section for "The Road to Hana". Or how about trying a topic search? That road must have more mixed up tourists than any other road in the world!!!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 12:15 PM

I agree with panhandle. Hana to Oheo Gulch (Seven Sacred Pools) should be around 20-30mins. Check out and leave luggage behind before venturing out.

Before heading straight to the SSP's, consider stopping by the tranquil Venus Pool. It would make for a wonderful snapshot at sunrise or soon thereafter.

My favorite waterfalls and beach (Hamoa) were past Hana, so I'd save some extra time to delight in those as well when you head back.

Have fun!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 01:05 PM

I second bluefan's suggestion to stop at Venus Pool on the way to the 7 sacred pools! Venus pool was our favorite stop on the Road to Hana.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Yes, from Hana it took us no more than half an hour (we stayed overnight too). I'm not sure what "falls above the pool" you're referring to, but if it's the Pipiwai trail that ends at Waimoku Falls, just know that if you take the whole trail it's two hours IN and two hours OUT. Waimoku Falls is spectacular, but if time is a consideration, just take the trail as far as you can, it follows the stream so there's plenty of waterfall/swim opportunities.

Would also second the Venus Pool--a really cool spot; it's not, however, a great jungly hike (like Pipiwai) if that's what yr looking for.

The Seven Deadly Pools, despite our derision toward just how many people were there, were actually REALLY cool--it's totally awesome to see all those falls cascading down into pool after pool and into the ocean. If you went really early that would be fantastic. I mean there were literally throngs coming off buses. But its proximity to the awesome Pipiwai trail makes the whole thing a great trip.

And yes, I'd check out first. You know, the parking lot at the deadly pools had lots of people around, lots of activity--it wasn't really like parking on the side of a lonely road and worrying about break-ins, so it might be the best bet for securing your stuff--I would think (hope) everyone would notice someone trying to break into your car.

love
roxy
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Great advice - thanks!
I had thought that the hike to Waimoku Falls was two hours round trip. Knowing it's double that really helps. I'm trying to get a late flight out, so hopefully we can fit the full hike in, as well as a trip to the Venus Pool. It all sounds beautiful.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:40 AM

To help you get a better idea of how much time you'll need for the RT hike to Waimoku Fall, it's close to 2.5 miles each way. It's not steep at all save for a few spots but will require a bit of rock hopping close to the fall and some schlepping through mud if there's been rain. We hiked it a brisk pace in around 2.5 hrs RT because there was little precious daylight left for us. I would venture that it can be done in a little over 3 hours at a comfortable pace; allowing you to soak in the sights to your heart's content. But 4 hours as Roxy suggests would be ideal!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:48 AM

It depends on where you are staying in Hana and how late they let you check out. I would think you would want to shower afterwards before boarding plane.