Reload this Page >

Road songs requested - NY State, New England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:50 PM
John

Two couples, middle aged but with lingering maturity issues, planning two-week journey through upstate/rural NY/CT/VT/NH/MA/RI in early Oct., seeking song suggestions for car CD player. Genre, age of song or singers, fast or slow, no matter. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:52 PM
tom

Anything by Stompin' Tom Conners would be my recommendation.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:16 PM
carley

How bout James Taylor he went from Stockbridge to Boston

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:23 PM
KT

Hi, John --

How about some singer-songwriter types from that region? That should work out well with those maturity issues. The first to come to my (addled) mind include Bill Morrissey, Bill Staines, Cheryl Wheeler (can't get more relevant than her song "When Fall Comes to New England"), and the Martha's Vineyard singer-songwriter compilation albums put together by Christine Lavin (one's called Big Times in a Small Town; can't recall the other). But I know there's a slew more of those folks up there.

And if you're driving through the Catskills, what about a jolt of klezmer in honor of times past? And, wrong season, but Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" is certainly beautiful.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:25 PM
seniledelinquent

you cant beat Bob Seger for a road trip

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:25 PM
OliveOyl

That would be Sweet Baby James, carly. He's got a new album coming out this week.

Now the first of December was covered with snow
And so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
Lord, the Berkshires seemed dream-like on account of that frosting
With ten miles behind me and ten thousand more to go

There's a song that they sing when they take to the highway
A song that they sing when they take to the sea
A song that they sing of their home in the sky
Maybe you can believe it if it helps you to sleep
But singing works just fine for me

T'was my home...only I didn't know what a super place it was as I was growing up!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:57 PM
joe

"Common Threads...Songs of the Eagles".

It'll give you a peaceful easy feeling

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Dick

Olive - I bumped into JT over by Woods Pond in Lenox (I think you know where that is) a couple years ago and we had a chance to talk a bit. He was buying some property in the area, off October Mountain Road, and I see that his new album is called "October Road". I wonder.

KT - What great recommendations! I didn't anybody else had ever heard of those folks. Bill Staines - what a great talent.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:20 AM
OliveOyl

Dick, There was an article in the Tampa paper about his new album coming out this week, and the dateline was Lenox, yes, where he now has a house! Some of the inspiration for the new album came from that area according to the article. The interview was done in his backyard as he did hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill (and they describe the beautiful mountains in the background--sniff gt;).

Do you live there too or did you just happen to bump into him while visiting? Can't imagine bumping into JT and having a chat! How down to earth! Lucky you. It is beautiful there, and always was a tourist attraction for skiers, Tanglewood music lovers, Jacobs Pillow, Williamstown theater etc, but now it's become a place for NYers 2nd homes too. For the life of me I don't understand NYers doing the Main St Stroll in Stockbridge. Why, after NY, they find Main St intriguing!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:26 AM
bennie

How about "Flight without Wings" by the Shaw Brothers - NH based folk singers - probably best known for being part of the Hillside Singers who had the big hit in the '60s "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing". This particular album has a NH theme.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:29 AM
x

Songs from your teenage/early adult years. Either mix them on CDs yourself or put them in the CD changer to play on random.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:43 AM
cass

The Mamas and the Papas are great travel music

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:01 AM
sn

I would urge you to never listen to Bob Seger who even in his prime was a pathetic-Springsteen-wanna be and has since sold his soul to Chevy to sell pickup trucks.

Here are some suggestions that I've tried to match with the profile you've presented of yourselves:

I'd recommend Bruce Springsteen's The Rising which is nothing short of incredible and has the power to heal and uplift after 9/11. I'd also purchase Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot which has been praised as the best new album of 2002, the starkness and originality of which you'll certainly find refreshing. If you don't have Bob Dylan's Love & Theft from last year, it's phenommenal road trip music that will have you in awe of the master's uncanny ability to remain fresh and vital despite a 40 year run. Finally, I would recommend Elvis Costello's When I Was Cruel which will have you driving fast and hard on those open stretches of the Thruway. Enjoy!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:35 AM
gc

Arlo Guthrie, of course!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:08 AM
John

Thanks for all of your replies so far and keep them coming. Haven't heard of the Shaw Brothers but their website looks interesting. I have already added Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger, and the "other" Seger, Bob, is a standard entry into any CDs we do. I like the idea of the new Springsteen album - thanks.

On the traditional side "Erie Canal" has to be there, as well as some shanties. James Taylor will make the list, and probably Don Henley. Copeland and Dvorak (New World) may make it too. Oh, and "Autumn in New York" is a must.

Since we'll be in and about metro NYC/Long Island/CT for part of the trip, I'm adding some of the many of those folks too - "Let the River Roll" by Carly, "America" by S&G, and so on.

Looks like at least 2 CDs now.

More, more! Thanks.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Owen O'Neill

There are several great road songs by Martin Sexton. He's a singer-songwriter originally from my hometown of Syracuse NY and he made his way to Boston in the early 90's, gradually rising fropm a subway station busker to the folk/coffee house circuit and he now has five CD's released. The American and Wonder Bar are both on Atlantic records and are great but the two I'd recommend are Black Sheep, widely regarded by his fans as some of his strongest work and also his new live disc - Live Wide Open. He has insightful and personal lyrics and several of his songs derive their strenght from the perspective of a traveling musician. Check out Glorybound and freedom of the Road in particular. His discs are available in independent record stores and in some chains especially in the Northeast or at his website www.martinsexton.com

I may sound a bit biased but believe me... this is a totally unique artist with a voice unlike any you have ever heard - very haunting especially on the live material. He may not get radio airplay in this era of formatted corporate radio but he has an incredibly loyal fan base - he'll be playing two nights back to back at Town Hall this December in NYC - get tix soon if you think you might want to see him live... he always sells out all his NYC and Boston shows well in advance.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:43 AM
cd

An old New England favorite is Tom Rush. Be sure to have "Rockport Sunday" playing as you drive out to Cape Ann.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:53 AM
lisa

Owen - Martin gets play time here in AUstin on 107.1 KGSR (excellent station. You can hear them on line, FYI) He is an excellent choice for a road trip!

Can't remember the name of his tune that got lots of air time. Love keep us...?

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Lisa

My road trip favorites are Van Morrison, Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett and my newest CD, Tommy Elskes.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 11:15 AM
al

Pray tell how can Bob Seger be a Springsteen wannabe when Springsteen wasn't even around at the time??? Bob's first album, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, came out in 1969!

The Springsteen album is great, but a little too depressing for a road trip. How about Born to Run or Greatest Hits instead?

I'll second Seger, add a little Mellencamp (Scarecrow, Lonesome Jubilee or a greatest hits CD) and Simon & Garfunkel (the old, good stuff).

If you're a little more daring, there's always Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -