rjw_lgb_ca Santa Catalina

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking in to see if you are ok. I am in Texas (near Louisiana where you have relatives) and saw on the news a lot of footage of Avalon and the extensive fire. It mentions that the ashes are raining like snow and is falling into Long Beach. We were planning to check out Catalina Island when we are in Long Beach on May 30-June 3rd. If we have the time maybe my husband and I could meet up with you. Anyway, if you know anyone that is hurt or their home is damaged, please let us know. I pray that everyone is ok. luvlondon / aka Molly
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM

I was watching this too in the news. Such a beatuful island! Visited in January while on a cruise.

Old May 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Today the marine layer came in and the situation is looking much better. A lot of the residents are headed back to Catalina. I haven't heard of problems with the air quality in Long Beach, but is was quite bad in Avalon last night which was why so many people took the ferry over for the night.
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Here I am! The Catalina fire is finally under control. No effect on the air in our part of Long Beach (as mlgb already noted). The Griffith Park fire impacted me (and my allergies) more, since I work up in Santa Monica.

I am actually buried in work and renovations on two properties I'm trying to get sold in the next three months, so I doubt I'll be free, luvlondon. But I hope you have a wonderful time here in southern CA!! Do let us know if you find anything new and fun.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:46 PM
TahitiTams

Friends who live in Avalon said it was a scary fright for all and had to evacuate but all is fine and back home..
Those pictures on tv of Avalon with the fires so close to town, were so hard to watch..
You will have a blast in Avalon luvlondon!

www.visitcatalinaisland.com