COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Oxnard:What to do:

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Oxnard:What to do:

Be travelling to Oxnard with kids, 4 and 9 yr old..where can we go to? thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Answer: leave Oxnard. Seriously. Drive to Santa Barbara or Santa Monica for diversions. Plenty to do in both areas.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I second TedTurner's advice. I had planned a few days in Oxnard on the way to Santa Barbara last week. People on this board told me it wasn't worth it so I chose Laguna Beach instead. Drove past the Oxnard area and was soooo glad I skipped it. Not much there. Much better atmosphere in Santa Barbara.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:37 PM

Sam, where are you staying? It is true, there is not much for the tourist to see in Oxnard, but the beach is wonderful! My family rents a beach house there each summer, becuase of the tranquility.

In Oxnard, there is a small fisherman's village with shops and restaurantsand a TINY museum. Close by is Ventura harbor, where you can rent boats, see a marine museum, ride a carousel, play in an arcade and see shops and restaurants. Just a short distance further is Santa Barbara, with all that it has to offer.

I cannot overestimate how beautiful, wide, big, peaceful and serene the beach is, if you are look ing for a quiet, family-type atmosphere.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitiate to ask.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. We're just gonna go to Oxnard for a day trip. We'll be coming from valencia. Iregeo, do you know where the fisherman village is in Oxnard?
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:55 AM

I would go to the Ventura Harbor versus the Oxnard harbor. A few miles up the coast but much more to do.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:56 AM

There is a merry go round, arcade games and most weekends they have a petty zoo and pony rides. Lots of shops that are open (versus Oxnard harbor) and a great beach across the street.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:58 AM
mpf

The Fisherman's Wharf is at Victoria and Channel Islands Blvd. I somewhat agree, there isn't a whole lot to do. There are bike paths, and if necessary you can rent bikes from Mandalay Bay Hotel as the path is front of their hotel. The children may enjoy lunch at one of the restaurants (Whales Tail) along the channel - ask for a window seat so they can watch the various boats go by.

www.channelislandsharbor.org
www.oxnardtourism.com
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:43 AM
mpf

If you driving on Hwy 126 to Oxnard, you could make a short stop at the Fish Hatchery. It's a mile east of Fillmore (on the left heading toward Oxnard), and there's just a little sign by the side of the road. Kids usually enjoy feeding the fish, and seeing the various sizes. Nice brief stop midway.

www.heritagevalley.net
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. If we do wanna go to the beach for playing, where exactly will this be? (street location) thanks again!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:51 PM
mpf

There are two beaches in Ventura (close to Oxnard).
www.santabarbara.com/ventura Go down towards lower right of the page where it says Beaches, and click on beach guide. Harbor Cove and Marina Park will come up, along with two others which are quite large.

Harbor Cove is a nice little beach, sheltered, safe and lots of moms and kids.
Marina Park - haven't been there, but it's nearby, and also looks nice and has a playground. The directions for both beaches are on that website. They are close to one another.

Hope your day trip works out well. Kids are older now, so it been a couple of years since we were there.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:33 AM

I agree with the Ventura suggestion. We had a delightful two-stay stay there last year.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for info! I really appreciate it..