Riverwalk in Providence

Search

Riverwalk in Providence

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riverwalk in Providence

We are flying to Providence for a stay at the Westin March 30-April 4. It sounds like a great city to visit. I understand there is a river walk, and being a walker am interested in possible daily exercise there. Am I close at the Westin, and do people run/walk there? As a woman, possibly alone, will I be safe?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:18 AM

The Westin is across the street.
During daylight it's very safe there, and even early evening there's enough activity, lighting and people around that you should be fine with common sense at hand.
You can really work on your calves walking the hills across the way over toward Brown University and RISD.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM

The Westin is the best hotel (in my opinion) to stay at while in Providence. There is a skywalk from the hotel that goes directly into the Providence Place Mall - Also, a quick walk across the (busy, but pedestrian-friendly) street is where the river walk is. At certain times a year on certain days, they have Water Fire. During Water Fire, you will hear classical music playing, and you can get boatrides out onto the water. It's really pretty, but you'll probably only want to do it once.
If you are in Providence, you should try some of the cuisine on "The Hill". I found that Naisance is one of the best restaurants on Federal Hill -- They serve great meals (about $16 - $30 a plate), and if it is not on the menu, you can request the chef to make a special meal!
Trollies travel in the city, about every 15 minutes, about $1.00 per ride. Every other block or so, there are signs where the Trolly stops.
Because it IS a city, there is some theft & such, but it is pretty safe. I've walked down Federal Hill & around outside the mall and never had so much as a look from anyone.
And as far as safety along the River Walk, travelis is right--it's bright enough & there are enough people there, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
If you would like, email me at [email protected] if you have any more questions. I will gladly help.

Enjoy,
Kris
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Traveleis and Kris. The beds at the Westin are wonderful, I hear. After having read about Water Fire on line, we may have to return at a later day as they do not occur again until later spring. Thanks for reassuring me about the safety, and info about your favorite restaurant on The Hill. So, riding the trolley is a good way to see the city? I'm checking on the five-day weather forecast, but because we are flying, limited as to what clothes to bring. Is it spring there yet? Rainy? Also, someone said it may be a problem finding food around the hotel certain times during the weekend, even at the hotel restaurant. Any comments? Traveleis, what is RISD?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM

RISD is the Rhode Island School of Design. It's adjacent to Brown, on the side of the hill, closer to Downtown.

Providence is really a small place to visit. The trolley will take you to almost every place you want to see. And in my opinion, the Waterfire is really nothing that special. If it's on, that's fine; but no need to go back to see it.

I assume you don't have a car, but you can still go to Newport. The ferry to Newport doesn't start unitl May 1, but you can take Bus 60 from Kennedy Plaza (town center, just across from the Westin) to Newport. Takes about an hour, but only $1.25.

Providence is a pretty sleepy place. You'll never have problems finding food. Give you an example, while you need to wait for a table at most Cheesecake Factory around the nation on weekends, there's usually no wait at the one at Providence Place mall.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 03:21 AM

Somebody must have been teasing about trouble finding food. There are lots of restaurants near the Westin. There can be waits on a busy weekend such as Columbus Day Weekend. If there is a convention going on there is a small temporary restaurant just a short walk past the entrance to the parking garage within the convention facility. (It will all seem like one big building.) If you want budget food there's Murphy's Deli a short walk. The street level of Providence Place has several restaurants. Across the street are several. Lots of choices. And there's always room service!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:56 AM

About finding food in RI, I lived at a small town called Bristol between Providence and Newport. Nice, by the seaside. However, most restaurants there are not open on Sunday evenings, and on Mon-Thurs, most close at 8pm. So, you MAY have problem finding food in that sense, if you're travelling to even sleepier places than Providence.