Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Pentagon City or Willard Inter Continental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 02:58 PM
lds

Planning our first trip to the DC area. Think we have it narrowed down to the these two hotels. Any opinions or other suggestions?

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Meg

We stayed at the Ritz last February and enjoyed it very much. The metro station is literally right outside the front door, so getting around was a breeze. There is a big mall attached to the hotel. I don't know anything about the Inter Continental.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:18 PM
John

Hi, Meg,
The Willard is a landmark, history oozing. Close to the White House, Mall, Smithsonian, etc. etc. Also a gorgeous old building. Great people watching if you're into visiting royalty and the like. Read the history section of the hotel's website, http://hotels.washington.interconti.com/

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Christina

It kind of depends on your personal habits and preferences, as they're both fine hotels. I never choose to stay in sururban hotels when I travel but like being in the center of things as that's why I'm there--to see things and a place, not to commute from the burbs. So, I'd stay in the Willard, hands down, as you can walk to a lot of stuff around there. The Ritz is just in a suburban shopping mall. A nice mall, but still a shopping mall, and you will not want to do anything there but immediately get on the metro and leave, there's nothing walkable around there to see or do. If you don't care about being outside of the city and just going directly to and from your hotel by transit to sites, it will be fine. If you have kids, some people like staying in malls as there are cheap fast-food-type eating places in malls. That is a pretty nice mall.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 06:39 AM
Cindy

Another vote for the Willard, for the reasons Christina and John cited. Man, am I jealous!

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 06:55 AM
elaine

Willard (no contest). FYI...we had booked 'standard' room, but at check in the reservation mgr. asked if we had plat. master card. We did and were upgraded to fantastic suite (#1800) for same rate. We didn't want to leave!

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 08:21 AM
lisa

If you want to stay in a suburban shopping mall environment, stay at the Ritz. If you want to stay in the heart of the city, steps from the White House and walking distance to the Mall and Smithsonian museums, stay at the Willard. To me, it's no contest. The Ritz is nice (I've been there for drinks & meals) but I would choose the Willard hands-down because the location is so much better.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 01:22 PM
hans

I haven't stayed at the Willard but the rooms at the Ritz are very nice!! Large and well-appointed.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 01:55 PM
lds

Thanks for the info. Even though we will have a teenager with us, I really don't want to be near a large shopping mall!

Any opinions on the Four Seasons in Georgetown?