Ritz Carlton in Georgetown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find a review on this site. Does anyone have any opinions? We are considering staying there this Fall.
Thank you
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:36 AM

You can't find a review because it's very new. Just opened this summer. Will be very upscale. You might go to www.washingtonpost.com and do a search on Ritz Carlton and see what it turns up. Make sure you're looking at info on the one in Gtown, as there are other Ritz's in town I believe still. I think the Post may have reviewed both the hotel building and its restaurant in the last several months.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Hi,
I am just trying to "bump" this one up, because we, too, are looking to spend a weekend in this hotel. We are looking for a luxury accomodation, within walking distance to historic sites, shopping and fine dining. Would this be the place?
Thanks for your help.
Kirsten
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Hi,

There is a review here;

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000269.html

Hope this helps

Regards
TBS
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Hotel is basically brand new. Probably not much out there. Has same owner as the other one in Washington (not Tyson Coroners). See website Millenniumptrs.com
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Georgetown is a fine neighborhood, although not really "convenient" because there is subway station, so to get from the hotel to the sites means a 10-15 minute walk to a Subway station or riding a shuttle.

G-town, despite its historic reputation, is pretty "touristy" in my opinion and one most Washingtonians avoid because of the congestion and high prices. That said, there are beautiful views, a lovely residential neighborhood, and many good restaurants. Quaint, however, it is not.

The Ritz should be fine.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:28 PM

thanks for all your help!
Does anyone have a better suggestion on where to stay in DC? Must be luxurious, possibly unique, within walking distance to attractive area.... Boy, am I picky!?!
Kirsten
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:36 AM
E

I'm not familiar with the St. Regis, but both the Hay-Adams and Willard hotels have an old world vibe that I would imagine would be lacking in a brand-new Ritz, and they're both very luxurious. They're DC institutions.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:54 PM

This is a review I posted over in FlyerTalk. I think it was linked above, but the link does not seem to be working.

This hotel highlights the Ritz'a come back on the east coast over the Four Seasons over the last year or two. It is amazing how fast they caught up in DC, Boston, NY, and Philly. I'm still partial to FS properties in places like Austin, Chicago, and LA, but they do not dominate my list of favorites like the used to.

The Ritz Carlton Georgetown opened in early 2003. It is the RC?s 4th hotel in the Washington, DC area.
This was a social visit to DC, so my wife and I were greeted by an old friend at DCA who drove us to the hotel. It is located between 31st and Wisconsin 1 block below M Street in the heart of Georgetown. As we pulled in, the brick that dominates the façade of the low lying buildings looked out of place for a Ritz Carlton. The hotel is an area with strict building guidelines and was designed in accordance with those restrictions which included the requirement of a brick dominated exterior.

We walked into the lobby and were greeted with high ceilings that had an immediate cold, industrial feeling. That feeling quickly warmed, however, as the brick came back into view along with a large fireplace, warm colored furniture, and art in incredibly inviting shades of orange, red, and black. My immediate thought was that this would be the ultimate room to throw an upscale Halloween party. There was no reception area, just two unassuming desks manned by one staff member. We took our seats and were quickly checked in.

To comply with architectural standards in the area (so we were told), the building requires a walk down a flight of stairs and then up an elevator to reach most guestrooms. The walk down the stairs was interesting though as a gorgeous, large (approx. 35?x 20?) canvas painting loosely hung from the lobby level down to the ground floor.

The hotel is divided into a few different buildings with guest rooms located in the east and west mini-towers. Residences and an upscale first run movie theater occupy the other buildings. Our room was in the west tower. The east tower requires a walk down a long, windowless all-brick (both walls and ceiling) oval shaped 8 foot high tunnel to reach its elevators. Although you feel like you might be headed down towards a coal mine somewhere in West Virginia, this tunnel is very impressive and adds to the overwhelming charm of this hotel.

The gentleman who checked us in walked us to our suite with the bellmen not far behind. We were happy with the amount of space we were given for an executive suite. It was at least 1400 ft2. The highlight was the large living room with two walls of floor to ceiling windows and enough sofas and chairs to seat 9 comfortably. The bedroom was also large and had an extra 12? x 12? dressing area. The master bathroom was the 2nd best we have ever had in a hotel. Instead of the requisite white marble in most RC suites, a light tan was used. The bathroom was the largest we have had in all our travels measuring out at around 20? x 10?. An additional ? bath was located near the foyer.

We had dinner at the Italian restaurant that is called Fahrenheit. I was most impressed with the décor. Its high ceilings, fire engine colored water glasses, engaging artwork, and large brick incinerator makes for what I believe is the best room to enjoy a meal in all of Washington(the approx. 500? high incinerator had been operational for decades and was what the entire complex was built around). The food was well prepared, but not outstanding. I would prefer to eat here over many other high-end Italian restaurants in Washington, but it would not be considered top-tier in NYC. On a Zagat scale it probably deserves a 24-25 in food, 30 in décor, and 25 in service. Dinner for 4 with appetizers, wine, and no dessert was $200. Breakfast in Fahrenheit was very good as well. Unique combinations of pancakes with some special fruit concoction (like brown sugared bananas) and the like dominated the menu as it does on most RC breakfast menus. The bar is called Degrees and is considered to be one of the hottest spots in the city. There were plenty of beautiful people there on the weekend we visited.

The hotel has a very nice fitness facility and spa. Though smaller than any other RC/FS spa that I can remember, it is very nicely appointed and its size is commensurate with the size of the hotel.

The biggest downside of this hotel is the absence of a Club Lounge. I guess it is not economical in a < 100 room hotel.

Overall, I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants something besides the cookie cutter RC or FS experience. This is among the most visually attractive of all Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons hotels in the United States. The service is very good, the room size is very generous, and the location is very good for biz and leisure. I would rank the hotel behind the RC Central Park, but better than some of my other favorites in the U.S. like the FS Austin and RC Naples.

After many stays at the Four Seasons in Washington, I can confidently say that I will not be returning to the FS. The Pentagon City RC may still be useful when I need to stay close to DCA, but that?s about it. RC G?town will become my regular DC hotel.

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:18 AM

kirsten,

You could check out the Mayflower Hotel. It's just south of Dupont Circle and about a 6 block walk to the White House.

Karen
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:13 PM
donnabee

The new Ritz on 22nd & M Streets is wonderful. Their restaurant, The Grill, has excellent food and service. The outside of the hotel is not very impressive (looks like an office building), but the inside is beautiful.

The Four Seasons is great and also has a great restuarant called "Seasons".

The Westin Embassy Row is great. The St. Regis, and the Westin Grand.