COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rittenhouse vs. Washington Sq Philly

Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Rittenhouse vs. Washington Sq Philly

A friend is relocating to Philly and is choosing between apartments in the Ritt. and Wash. Sq areas. My thoughts were Rittenhouse: more high rises, upscale shopping, closer to downtown, good upscale restaurants. Washington Sq: more older buildings and row houses, funkier boutiques, good restaurants, closer to tourist areas and Reading Terminal market. Anything to add? Is one more desirable for living near everyday services such as grocery stores, etc? I would imagine that the answers would help any tourists looking for the same things. Thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
yk

I personally would prefer Rittenhouse Sq, mainly because the area around is slightly more upscale. There's nothing I enjoy more than wandering to the Sq and lie on a picnic blanket on the grass in the shade.

On the downside, there are any real grocery stores near Rittenhouse Sq. The Rittenhouse Market is one, but very expensive. I used to shop at Food Rite (15th & Locust), and I always joked it's called "Food Wrong."

Near Wash Sq, one can potentially walk to the Super Fresh and Whole Foods (9th & South). It's also closer to the shops & restaurants in the Old City neighborhood.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM

Has your friend given thought to Old City? It's the hip/historical area of town, and closest to the waterfront... there are a ton of bars, clubs, and good restaurants. There are great loft apartments throughout this section of the city.

Ritterhouse is definitely the more upscale section of town. Also, good restaurants, bars, etc., and a great park. Not sure of the apt situation there, but there are probably a good number of rentable brownstones.

Best place to find apartments (I lived in Old City for a year and hunted for apts twice) is by picking up a local newspaper. The Philadelphia Inquirer may have classifieds on line, but one of the smaller newspapers would have ads for the "hidden secrets" apartments - much better details and usually very cool spaces.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:35 AM

I vote for Rittenhouse, I think it's prettier.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the feedback. I think that my friend actually has two apartments picked out. One in the Ritt. Sq. area and the other in the Washington Sq. area. She's 50'ish and corporate so my first thoughts were Rittenhouse but I wasn't sure of the food market availability.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM

yk--Thanks for the memory, I hadn't thought about the Food Rite on 15th and Locust since I lived in the Rittenhouse area over 10 years ago! I can't believe it is still there. It was def Food Wrong! Good point that food shopping is tough in that area. Otherwise I would def. prefer Rittenhouse to any other location in Philly.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:20 AM

I lived in the Rittenhouse area for three years. I enjoyed the area but food shopping was a minor issue. I would go down to the Super Fresh although sometimes I just went to the "local" places like Food Rite for a few items.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM

It's a bit outside the RSq boundaries, but isn't there a Trader Joe's at 21st and Market? And don't forget DiBruno's at 17th and Chestnut.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:05 AM

I've been living in Washington Square for a few months and love it. The square itself is quieter than Rittenhouse, but lovely. We can walk to 4 independent movie theaters, several ind. bookstores, many places to eat, coffeshops, Old City, South St.
(tho we stay away Fri. and Sat. nights), Broad St. with all its arts venues, Chinatown, and even Rittenhouse (I work in the Rittenhouse area and walk home to W. Sq. almost every day).

In addition to the Super Fresh and Whole Foods mentioned at 10th and South, there is a smaller Super Fresh right on 5th St. (just south of Locust) and Essene's on 4th St. (just south of South) has wonderful produce. Plus, the farmers' market at 2nd and South is about to re-open, and as you said, we're also walking distance to the Reading Terminal Market.

I'm sure Rittenhouse is also a lovely area to live ...just thought I'd share my positives on living in Washington Square. (btw there are some newer highrises here as well as older)