Search

rip tides

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rip tides

We're going to Ocean Isle Beach in August and I wonder if there have been any rip tides there this month(July). How can you find out when you're there if there are rip tides since there are no lifeguards?
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM

Just listen to the local news, newspapers and radio. Also, some beaches have flags out. Red flag means No Swimming. If caught in a rip-tide, lift your feet and ride it out and then swim to side to get out of the thrust. Another thing to remember, if you ever get taken far out to sea or fall off a boat, do not try to swim. Hold your arms out and float. keep your face in the water and lift out and breath. This way you do not use your energy fighting a loosing battle. The only part of your body that should be moving is your head up and down. Now if there is a boat near by or not to far from shore, swim like a crazy man, but if you are caught far out, do above. Sorry for lesson, but I had to learn that to get through college and have remembered it ever since.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:31 AM

Watch 20/20 tonight on ABC...they are doing a segment on Rip Tides. Just saw their ad.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
GoTravel

A riptide is a strong U shaped tide.

If you get caught in a riptide, swim parellel to shore or tread water until it brings you back around.

What causes riptides are stormwater or other drainage pipes that pipe water into the ocean. The current from that water causes the U shaped tide that is the riptide.

Subway, I think you'd drown if you tried that at sea. Because of the swells, it would be difficult to follow that procedure.

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

The technique of escaping a riptide is as described. It is VERY important to not panic and try to swim to shore. It is a sure way to die. This is for a riptide at a beach location. It is even recommended to swim further out to get out of the riptide.
There is no way to predict. In the Litchfield area they often report the possibility of riptides on the weather channel.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:56 AM

GOTravel. Next time you are in water, try it. I have jump out of a boat 10 miles off the coast and it works. Now, it may not be exactly as I stated above, but if you swim, you never stand a chance. Again, this is not something I made up, this is what is taught in survival classes
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Just saw this post and had to put my 2 cents worth in, I have to agree with Subway_Scoundrel. I was a life guard in undergraduate school and in graduate school in Miami I took the ocean survival couses and tests. The float he describes is truely the longest way to survive because of the little amount of energy used. You truely just float with the tides just like someone does if snorkeling except you are pretty much straight up and down. You beathe slowly and at first it is hard but then it kicks in and you lift your head up just from the neck and breath in. Head goes back in the water and exhale. To pass the survival class they took us off shore and dumped us for 4 hours (we had little bracelets for emergency alert. The survival float works. It is just the first few minutes of getting thru the manic mode and into the relaxation that is hard.