Destin

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destin

I'm going to Destin in 2 weeks, can you give me any advice? I'm staying at the Holiday Surf and Racquetclub condos.
Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM

use plenty of sunscreen and obey the flag warning system concerning the beaches.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Try the seafood gumbo at a dozen or so places and then try to decide which you like the best. See if any brewpubs are still around; there used to be several, but last I heard most or all are now defunct, alas.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Dewey Destin's is a great place to eat in Destin! It's on the water and open air so be sure to dress accordingly. The Silver Sands Factory Outlet is a really good place to shop. AJ's is a touristy restaurant on the water with OK food. The best thing about it is the location, right on the docks where all of the charter boats come in so it's fun to walk around after dinner. Friday they do fireworks over the bay.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Let me reiterate what Gracie said, OBEY THE FLAG WARNING SYSTEM.

A GREEN flag means that the water is calm. The undertow is slight to non-existent and it is safe to swim using the proper amount of caution!

A YELLOW flag indicates the presence of light surf or currents and additional caution should be used while swimming in the Gulf.

A RED flag indicates the presence of strong surf and currents. Swimming in these conditions is not recommended as it presents a very high hazard to all swimmers.

A DOUBLE RED flag, however, means that the water is closed to the public! No one is allowed in the water when a double red flag is posted!

Finally, a PURPLE flag indicates the presence of marine pest in the water such as jellyfish, stingrays or dangerous fish.

Rip currents are common in that area and not all beaches have lifeguards.

That said, Destin is fabulous! Soft white sand, crystal clear water. Be sure to take a day trip over to 30A and check out Seaside, Watercolor, Rosemary, etc. Great shops and galleries in Seaside.

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Do not go to the Red Barn Grill in Grayton Beach--enough people have found my favorite eating spot in that area----particularly the Fri night crabcakes!!
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Should read Red Bar
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Yes. By all means stay away from The Red Bar....You will hate it and be sorry you ever stepped foot there. DO NOT GO TO THE RED BAR! I repeat, DO NOT GO TO THE RED BAR!

But if you decide to go, take cash. No credit cards accepted. No cash? No worries. ATM in the back.

DO NOT GO TO THE RED BAR. DO NOT GO TO THE RED BAR.

World famous crabcakes are there only on the weekend. Mon. through Thur. you can get them at their sister restaurant Cafe 3 thirty 1 at the foot of the 331 bridge.

DO NOT GO TO THE RED BAR. Stay Away. DO NOT GO TO THE RED BAR.

But if you insist on going, go early or be prepared to wait and be perpared to surrender your car keys in exchange for a beeper. Your keys will be cheerfully returned to you when said beeper is returned to hostess.

DO NOT GO TO THE RED BAR!!!

OK, Felschurch, do you think I scared them away???

Old Jul 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM

We have done our duty!!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Definitely obey the flag warnings. Try ACME Oyster Bar in Sandestin's Baytowne Wharf village. Original ACME is in Nola and this one is very good also and the village is full of cute shops. Have fun!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Yes. That reminds me. You might want to try Royal B restaurant. Clark and Blake Brennan of the New Orleans Brennans, started it recently in Destin. They apparently left NOLA after Katrina and live in Mississippi now. It is new but is supposed to be very good.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM
hdm

Hi Sue! How are you doing? I'm bookmarking this thread for use in December! I'll be sure NOT to go to the Red Bar (oh, if only I knew how to use that winking icon!) and I WON'T have the crabcakes!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Hi hdm,

I will have a list of all my favorite restaurants and a little about each for you. The nice thing is, nothing will be crowded in December. Our high season is the opposite of south FL. (You might not even have to surrender your car keys!)

Look what I just found.

http://www.theredbar.com/

Don't let the decor scare you off! It is part of the charm.

This place was recommended, on another travel board, to someone and he reported back that when he got there he was afraid to go in. Thought it might be dangerous...LOL!!! He sure missed out!

Hope you are doing well. I will be in touch.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:08 AM
hdm

Looks just like our kind of place, Sue!

How's the writing coming?