Search

Richardson Highway

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richardson Highway

I have read that the Richardson Highway is a beautiful drive. If we drive just from Valdez to Glennallen and then takes the Glenn Highway, have we missed most of the beauty? Have we missed a lot by not driving all the way to Fairbanks?

We want to include Valdez and Wrangell-St. Elias as well as the Matanuska Valley.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM

No, we did the whole loop from Anchorage to Fairbanks, to Valdez, back to Anchorage. On your route, you will be getting the majority of the most stunning scenery from Valdez to Anchorage on both the Glenn and Richardson Hwys. The length of the Richardson is very pretty, but you are getting the most stunning part from Valdez to Glennallen. Oh, and after leaving Valdez, once you get up high and make that climb out of the beautiful green valley, stop near the top for photos. It looks like you're in Hawaii or Costa Rica.

Have fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM

The most scenic portion of the Richardson in my opinion is the Glennallen/Valdez portion. Allow plenty of time, and at least 2 nights in Valdez. I would do a loop via ferry/Whittier and not the same route back over the Glenn
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BayouGal and BudgetQueen.

My tentative plan is to land in Anchorage and spend the night. Pick up the rental car the next morning and head to Girdwood, stopping to sightsee and/or hike along the way. We will spend the night in Girdwood then go on to Homer for 3-4 nights depending upon whether or not we do the Emerald Air Bear Viewing Trip.

Then we'll head for Seward and spend at least 2 nights before taking the Ferry to Valdez and staying 2 nights. We want to kayak there and hike/sightsee at Thompson Pass and Keystone Canyon, etc.

Hopefully, we'll be able to spend at least 1-2 nights in Wrangell-St. Elias, but at any rate, we will drive to Glennallen and then head down the Glenn Highway to Sheep Mountain Lodge. I want to hike the Matanuska Glacier, especially if we don't get to do Root Glacier. Don't know whether to plan on 1 or 2 nights here.

Then we'll head for Talkeetna for one night and at least 2 nights in Denali before heading back to Anchorage.

Any problems you see with any of this, please let me know.

I appreciate your help.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM

No problems that I can see . . . may I come along?! Seriously, it sounds like a great trip, and I can tell you are doing your homework. Is this trip for next summer or this summer?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM

This is a great plan. Having been most all the places you plan on going, and driving the Richardson Highway, you have a great trip plan. Enjoy!! It is absolutely beautiful going over Thompson Pass and through the Keystone Canyon area. We also spent 2 nights in Valdez. A beautiful area.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Welcome back, Marlene. Good to know you don't hold your grudges against those who find a lot more do in Anchorage than visiting two museums
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:06 AM

ROFL yep when you are in your 70's, DH walks with a cane and I cannot walk for very long, and all there seemed to be in the great city of Anchorage was bike, hike and restaurants, I hold no grudges. We did enjoy the museums and the areas outside of Anchorage. Seward, Whittier, Hope going south. And Palmer, Wasilla going the other directions. No grudges.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:01 PM

You have a very nice itinerary planned. AND have done your homework with allowing enough time- most important.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I'm excited to know that you think it is a good plan. The trip is for next summer.

I have researched and read almost every book I can find. Actually, I've read and learned so much, I feel as if I've already been there. Just kidding.

I still would like to know if theMatanuska Glacier hike is a good substitute for the Root Glacier hike just in case it doesn't work out for us to go to Wrangell-St. Elias.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:14 AM
nkd

I did not do both, only Matanuska. My sister says she prefered hiking on Matanuska Glacier than Root Glacier
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I want to support a 4th night in Homer to take the Emerald Air bear viewing trip. My family just returned from two weeks in Alaska and can't wait to go back. The one thing that all of us wished we had done was the bear viewing trip out of Homer. Fit it in if you can, or just plan to go back. Although we loved the Girdwood area and were there for the Forest Fair, we wish we had traded that day for the bear viewing.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I wholeheartedly second wannabe's suggestion, if your budget allows for it. Ours did not, plus we were there in May - not the best bear viewing time. Sometimes we just can't do it all, so hopefully we'll be able to make another trip to Alaska soon. Good luck with your decisions! Seems like you have done an excellent job so far!