Itinireray and Driving reality help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 active 50 yrs olds will arr. in Anc on Aug 31st, first Alaska trip! We have a rental car. 2 nights ANC, 3 nights Denali. plan to leave Denali early Wed. and go trek the Matanuska Glacier. Should we then stay in that area overnight, or start heading towards the Kenai peninsula? we have 6 nights to see the Kenai Pen. Can we drive glacierview to Homer one day? I think it would be over 6 hours. then 2 nights Homer, 3 nights Seward, Hit Girdwood and back to ANC for 2pm flight out on 9/12. Or should we driver from the Glacier to Girdwood for a night, and then Head to Homer and Seward? I really want to do the Kenai Fjords boat so considered Seward first (then Homer) but that's a long drive back our last day to get to ANC airport. What do you recommend? We want to explore and not be in a car the whole time. Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 05:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by eroz
2 active 50 yrs olds will arr. in Anc on Aug 31st, first Alaska trip! We have a rental car. 2 nights ANC, 3 nights Denali. plan to leave Denali early Wed. and go trek the Matanuska Glacier. Should we then stay in that area overnight, or start heading towards the Kenai peninsula? we have 6 nights to see the Kenai Pen. Can we drive glacierview to Homer one day? I think it would be over 6 hours. then 2 nights Homer, 3 nights Seward, Hit Girdwood and back to ANC for 2pm flight out on 9/12. Or should we driver from the Glacier to Girdwood for a night, and then Head to Homer and Seward? I really want to do the Kenai Fjords boat so considered Seward first (then Homer) but that's a long drive back our last day to get to ANC airport. What do you recommend? We want to explore and not be in a car the whole time. Thanks!
Can you drive from the Matanuska glacier to Homer in one day? I suppose in some alternative reality, but I sure wouldn't do it. Do NOT take the time estimates from the likes of Google seriously. I think stopping in Anchorage or Girdwood makes much more sense.

Otherwise, I think your itinerary is fine, given that we don't have any idea of your priorities, budget, accommodation choices or your willingness to get off the road system, for example in light planes. If you could give us an idea of the sorts of things you want to do - hiking? photography? - more precise advice could be forthcoming.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! So the drive from GlacierVier to Homer is unrealistic. We will now do Matanuska Glacier on way from ANC (first 2 nights here at HI Express) to Denali (Staying in Healy 3nights), so that frees up the day after to head straight down to Girdwood (Stop in Talkeetna). 2 nights there (likely Hidden Creek BnB), 2 nights Homer, 2 nights Seward. No other nights booked yet. Fly home 2pm from ANC so have some flex the last night. We like to hike, see wildlife, of course Glaciers while in Alaska, and eat great seafood while meeting locals ideally. We don't use a fancy camera, just want to experience Alaska. Denali has been on husband's bucket list for awhile. We love the national parks and have done Glacier, Yosemite, various Utah parks and Olympic. We are on a moderate budget, clean and safe is fine. Willing to spend on treks and boat rides but the airplane options seem very expensive to us. Figuring out best boat in Whittier, maybe a kayak in Homer (or ferry to the island if we can get dinner reservation) and the Kenai Fjords cruise in Seward.

Do we need to book boat tours and Denali shuttle for Sept. dates ahead of time? All this will be the first 12 days of Sept so fingers crossed on weather. We live in Oregon so should have the right clothes to be prepared!
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 01:52 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, the plane options are expensive and worth every penny. I would gladly sacrifice a Matanuska Glacier hike for a flightseeing tour of Denali, but people have different views on this.

The reality of course is that in early September autumn is well on its way at Denali, which means (a) the colors on the tundra can knock your eyeballs out, and (b) the chances of the mountain being socked in are higher than its typical .500 batting average. You have to be pretty zen where Denali is involved, frankly.

I would make whatever reservations you can; they can be canceled or changed easily enough.