Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reviving the age-old debate: Sonoma vs. Napa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not talking about wines, though. I just came back from a wedding in Sonoma, and I was shocked at the level of service & courteousness (or lack thereof) by the vendors there....particularly the hotel GM, the caterer, and the winery coordinator. Considering that my friend was shelling out a lot of money on these people and all guests are potential return customers, wouldn't a businessperson be more accomodating or at least polite? The winery coordinator was the worst, though--she even went so far as to say rude things and pretty much offended all of us, including the bride.

When I went to Napa last October, even during the busiest times, people there were always warm, welcoming, and generous beyond expectations.

I could be wrong.....am I?
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM

"Sonoma County hosts about 200 to 400 destination weddings a year - roughly half of them at wineries - plus another 2,000 or so weddings for local residents. It's such a lucrative business that Napa County, which does not allow weddings at its wineries in order to limit social events on agricultural land, is considering easing those restrictions."
July 10,2005 Press Democrat

Maybe the hotel staff was just
worn out !
Speaking as a Sonoma resident, I don't find either county to be more or less
of anything except in the area of traffic congestion and my experience is that Napa has us beat in that category.

Although your experience was indeed
unpleasant, you truly cannot accuse the whole county by one experience.
That's waaayyyy too wide a road to take.
R5
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Hi R5, I just read in the Chronical (I think it was the Chron) this a.m. that Napa Valley has the 8th congested traffic in all of the agriculture areas in the US. I knew the traffic was terrible but that really surprised me.

Melissa, I am sorry that you and the bridal party had unpleasant experiences. That is unacceptable. I guess that with such popularity the service industry gets on overload and consequently does not deliver the pleasant service that any client/customer should expect. This can be true in any area with lots of tourist/travellers during the tourist season. It happens in Italy too. But it is never pleasant and always such a dissapointment.

I think you enjoyed your time in SF though? I sure hope so!!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I was at a sales meeting in another locale during a weekend with 3 weddings. The staff indeed was completely worn out. I agree that this experience does not in any way reflect on the Sonoma vs. Napa debate.

My answer to your post title would be "both".
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Hi LI!
This is the story I read around the
4th of July-prob the same as the one you read
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8433632/
We try to stay away from interior Napa in the summer. The place is a victim of it's own success !
Melissa,
I too, hope you had only this one experience and had some fun here.
Come back and I'll buy the first round.
R5
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

well, now, that's worth coming back for!! As long as it's not at Cucina Viansa. I tried to cater an additional luncheon from them during my stay and got a verrrrrry snobby response. Yeah, I was just wondering about all of this since so many businesses had been snooty to us during this event (the ones I mentioned are just a few!) and that was the topic of conversation all weekend!

LoveItaly, yes, I enjoyed San Francisco as I always do. It remains one of my favorite cities in the world (up there with Paris, of course!) and I regret not being able to wake up earlier so I could eat at more places!!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Hi R5, yes I too don't bother with Napa anymore during tourist season. In fact my SIL has to go to Napa Valley occasionally for his job and he almost pulls his hair out, LOL, but he understands because of areas in Italy that are the same with all the visitors. Remember years ago when Napa Valley was a place to visit when one wanted to get away and relax? Great memories!

Melissa, I am glad that you still enjoy SF!! And am I correct, did I read on another thread you are from Hawaii? I think I did. If so I imagine that the residents also get tired at times of all the visitors.

I know for a fact that the residents of Venice and Florence are sooo overwhelmed with tourist during the heavy travel months. And I sure understand. However, if an area depends on the tourist dollar then the employees that make their salaries off of the tourist should endevour to give visitors a pleasant and well mannered visit IMO.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

hiya! Yes, I'm from Hawaii.....tourism is our largest industry so we live off of providing good service! I think it may be because of that, that I am sometimes appalled by the lack of service training when I visit other destinations. I don't think we're tired of the tourists--since it's our biggest industry I guess we learn to live with it? Not sure. The people in San Francisco were all so nice, it was really such a difference to drive an hour away and encounter so many snooty people.