Search

Revised Utah/NM Itinerary- help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revised Utah/NM Itinerary- help

Hi:

Thanks to everyone who has provided info and input so far. We are traveling in August 2007. We had 16 days, but due to a family golf outing now we only have 14 days total. We are starting in Las Vegas on July 29th and need to be in Santa Fe on Friday night August 10th. We have a wedding on Saturday the 11th and plan to fly out of Albequerque back to Pittsburgh on Sunday the 12th. I could use some more help with our itinerary. The must sees are the Grand Canyon, Zion, Moab and we would like to do a float trip at Lake Powell (the 2 nights in Vegas are also not negotiable as per my MIL). Also, I really, really want to do a hot air balloon ride while we are out West and Taos seems to make the most sense. I would also like to relax in Taos a bit.

Can anybody suggest a good place to spend the night between Moab and Taos? Should we do Mesa Verde or skip this and see the pueblos arount Taos and Santa Fe? Also, what would you cut out to make the trip less hectic? Should we do Zion and Bryce and skip Capitol Reef/Torrey area? Or even just Zion?

Here it is......
July 29th: Fly into Vegas (haven't booked lodging yet)
July 30th: Vegas
July 31st: Drive to Grand Canyon (El Tovar)
August 1st: GC and then in afternoon drive to Page (Marriott Courtyard)
August 2: Float trip/ Antelope Canyon (Marriott Courtyard in Page)
August 3: Drive to and see Zion (Dessert Palm)
August 4: Zion (Dessert Palm- or should we drive to Bryce and stay at the lodge tonight?- there is availability)
August 5: Bryce (Bryce Lodge)
August 6th: Drive HWY12 to Capitol Reef/ Escalente and then spend the night at the Boulder Mtn Lodge
August 7th: Drive to Moab and explore Arches (Still need reservation)
August 8: Canyonlands then drive to stay between Moab and Taos also considering stopping for a few hours at either Mesa Verde or Monument Valley- suggestions?
August 9: Drive to Taos and relax in the afternoon (Taos somewhere)
August 10: Hot Air baloon ride then drive to Santa Fe for dinner
August 11th: Wedding in Santa Fe
August 12: Fly home

I wasn't sure if I should make this a new post or continue my original itinerary 1 vs 2 thread- what is the fodorite custom?

Thank you (especially utahtea) for all the help!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM

A fast reply for now -- stay in Cortez CO. It is 2 hours from Moab and just 10 minutes from Mesa Verde. The trip to Taos can be done in 4 hours and the route is great.

Stay at www.moabdreaminn.com for you night in Moab. It is excellent.

Mesa Verde is nothing like the Taos or Acoma. It is a must see.

Click on my name to see recent trip reports I have done on Moab or type in Mesa Verde to read postings.

I can give you specific driving directions to Taos that give you some wonderful scenery.

Email me if you'd like.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Since you are planning on visiting so many national parks might want to consider getting a National Parks Pass ($50) good for calendar year for entrance fees for all National Parks & Monuments for everything every one in car. Can also get it through AAA for $48 if you are a member.

Plan on taking lots of water with you since temperatures will probably be in upper 90's that time of year and the sun baking the rock radiates the heat late into the evening.

If time allows someother things to do in Page do Upper Antelope Canyon (a short walk with no ladders) best time of day to visit is 11am-2pm for best lighting. Can also do Lower Antelope Canyon (tight spaces and ladders to descend)is much longer than Upper and far less visited.
About 4 miles S of Page is turnoff to Horseshoe Bend which is a 1/2-3/4 mile walk to spectacular viewpoint where river creates a horseshoe vista.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Bryce is a little higher in elevation and might be a bit cooler (this might influence you choice of accommodation for Aug 4th) ...remember there's no AC in the cabins at Bryce.

We really liked Boulder Mountain Lodge (lovely outdoor hot tub)and the onsite restaurant, Hells Backbone Grill
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Hi E,

Well this is a very rushed trip, but if it's what you like, go for it.

Check your map though, Boulder Mtn Lodge is not in Torrey/Capitol Reef. It is between Bryce and Capitol Reef on Hwy 12.

Good luck!